My stomach pain was IBS not the Menopause

Posted , 6 users are following.

I started having stomach pain in March which didn't clear up. As, I am 42 I began to think I was beginning an early peri menopause. Last year, I had a few unexplained sweats and I began to feel my brain had turned to mush. 

It turned out not to be the menopause but IBS.  I only found this out after having test after test and seeing eight doctors over the course of three months.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

In peri menopause before menopause you can start having stomach issues i dealt with stomach issues since 2013 into 2015 and yes you are at the age where you can start having symptoms of peri menopause issues Just because the doctor said you are not in menopause you are going through the signs of the early symptoms as your hormones start to decline i would not go  by doctors but what your body is telling you 

As you get older than i advise you do the blood test to see if you are in menopause but right now you are in the begining if you still have periods 

• Posted

I did the same thought I was in peri and was diagnosed initially with ibs but it carried on til found I had endometriosis. Had a total hysterectomy including ovaries and now most definitely in full menopause at 40. Funny how things turn out! ! Glad yours only ibs and can be controlled with diet 😊
  • Posted

Your brain turning to mush defo sounds like the meno....have been going that way for about three years now. Scary, actually, when you can't remember stuff. sad

• Posted

I'm the same. Said thanks for the cuppa that appeared on my desk at work yesterday and it turns out I made it. Have no recollection. Freaks me out!!
    • Posted

Hahaha. I'm using it to my advantage. ... I can have selective memory too 😉
  • Posted

I am in Perimenopause and now have a recurrence of  IBS which is much worse between days 10 and 16 of my cycle.  I have read  that IBS can be effected strongly by hormones, especially if you become oestrogen dominant. Doctors don't seem to believe this, (well my GP didn't).  I am taking natural Progesterone which helps, and also am careful with what I eat but anyone who has ideas I would be very grateful as while better I am really struggling through one week a month!
    • Posted

Did you have IBS before you became peri? IBS can be stress related, so it may have been something that contributed?
    • Posted

Yes, I did a few years ago but nothing like this! And it is so regular.  But it is stress related as you say, I have been caring for my mother for a long time and she died a few months ago. 
    • Posted

I am so sorry Jenny. sad

That would definitely add to your problem. Probably still stuff to sort out with your Mum's belongings, etc, too, which prolongs things.

Hope you can get some help with your IBS. I have a friend who suffers, and she is sometimes barely able to walk with the pain - says its like someone is tieing her intestines in a knot. sad

• Posted

did each one of your doctors have access to the notes of the previous one? mmmm

trust your own instinct gal  !

i daresay your ibs is something to do with your menopause.

oh the joy of being a woman.

• Posted

Each doctor had my notes from my previous GPs on their computer.  I did ask one doctor if the early stages of the menopause could cause my stomach pains and he said no!  So I suppose I will have to assume it is IBS until other obvious peri menopause symptoms appear.
  • Posted

When my IBS started, it made my period pain much harder to control.  I had two pains at once.  Now it has settled down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.