My Story

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've always wanted to write on one of these websites. Finally doing it! So, I've suffered from panic disorder for about four years now. It's exhausting. The symptoms that come along with it are no joke. The hyperventilating, the sweating, the pounding heart, the hot flashes, the shaking, the nausea, etc., etc., etc. The list is endless. The worst thing is, people who don't go through this really don't understand it. I haven't really gotten help yet. I've gone to my doctor about this but never set up the psychologist appointment. Getting help seems pointless as I do know coping skills and what foods I need to cut out so I don't trigger anxiety. I want to wait off with anxiety medication. I'm only sixteen and I am trying really hard to beat this on my own. My parents know, but they don't entirely understand it. They get frustrated. This is such an exhausting thing and I really am trying so hard but I'm anxious and that makes me anxious. I know I'm not alone and I know that we can get through this. Accept it, don't fight it. That's what I've learned. The physical symptoms give me so much more anxiety, that's the thing. I'm always jumping to the worst possible scenario. For example, just now a dish in the sink made that clunk noise and I've convinved myself in .2 seconds that it's a murderer. It was my dad. Ahhh lol. I don't know. Thanks for reading!

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hello marie, try taking magnesium supplements this will make you less venerable to stress and anxiety. do you practise any sport? You are still young, talk to your parents so that you can get proper support and help. 

WIsh you health

• Posted

Hi marie,I know what you mean. I am on meds but still have anxiety. It truely is exhuasting,lately ive been not eating much because of it. Xx
  • Posted

There is much more to anxiety than coping skills (which don't work forever) and your diet. Much more, that's a gross simplification. See a therapist,they are trained, you are not
  • Posted

I feel your pain I really do! With me also it is the awful physical symptoms that bring me down. I try to tell myself that it had to run its course and try n ride with it. But I know it's it easy. Hope you're ok!
  • Posted

You do not have to use medications but learning cbt is useful. At your young age it would be very useful to learn how to rationalize out your thoughts properly and dismantle the negative ones. They have some apps on cbt too. So you can see how it works.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.