My story

Posted , 4 users are following.

Read a few links on here, some of which really resonated with me so thought I'd share my story.

I'm 40. Been suffering with gout like symptoms for approx 7 years, which have always been on my right ankle - which I badly fractured as a teenager.

Diagnosis was a nightmare. First flare ups were always after playing football so naturally always was diagnosed as a sprain with advice to rest.

Finally got diagnosed after about 6 flare ups over 2 years. A nurse in minor injuries unit diagnosed it as gout after various doctors had missed it. Blood tests confirmed elevated uric acid levels.

Started on allipurinol and had no flare ups since - until now.

My original flare ups always seemed to be after physical exercise (usually football) but after careful examination of my diet they seemed to coincide with when I was trying to lose a bit of weight by using protein shakes as a meal replacement.

I am certain in my own mind that protein shakes were a contributing factor but I know there seems to be articles on line to contradict this.

So, on to my current flare up. Looking back, signs were there - stiff ankle first thing in the morning or after exercise, but I ignored this as I'd not had a flare up for so long.

My daily dose of allipurinol had slipped to maybe every other day (if that) over the years. Stupid looking back but you live and learn.

Very interesting to read that current thinking is that only 10-20% of gout episodes are diet related. The only conscious change in my diet recently is taking fish oil tablets - ironically to help with my joints. All articles suggest fish oil tablets have been refined so aren't high in purines - but the jury is still out in my mind.

I'm back on the naproxen until it subsides. Hot baths seem to be the best thing for me. Just hoping it clears up for the weekend.

Thanks for reading.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had the same after Ice Hockey, although I put this down to a couple beers on the coach after the game and dehydrated.

Fasting and high protein can bring gout on, equally intermittent fasting and proven to work in the long run

My triggers are sugar and grains - I used Huel and that brought on gout, tried vegan etc

The best has been Ketogennic for me - high fat, moderate protein and max 50 grams carbs per day. Its easy and reduces inflammation, which in return helped with cognitive ability too.

Its all experimentation and finding out what works for you. I'm 42 and suffered for 15 years.

I have never taken allopurinol - occasionally naproxen 

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Joe, you usually find that any trauma to the affected area or where you have had a flare previous will bring on a gout attack. So physical exercise that you are doing and the fracture you had will be a factor on bringing on a flare up especially if you have had an attack in that same place before. Naproxen is probably the best tablet for the job, also Colchicine works well for me. I have not changed my diet but i do keep myself well hydrated, 2 litres of water a day and low fat food and i have not had an attack in 2 years. Allipurinol when i was taking them gave me very bad pains in my joints which you say you have had. I had to stop taking Allipurinol because the joint pain became too bad so changed to Adenuric and i am fine.  I knocked my knee on the door and the next day had awful gout for 6 weeks. Try and rest the ankle for a good while until at least the area becomes less stiff or you are going to suffer im afraid. Hope i have been of some help.
  • Posted

Guys,

I've sent a couple of PMs - can you point me at the specific products you used which gave you gout.

Want to avoid them, and to investigate further !

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.