My story - looking for support.

Posted , 3 users are following.

In November 2016, I began after my period experiencing pain that had crippled me. I've never had any real health issues so I was shocked by the agony. I could barely make it to the bathroom. The extreme paid was mostly at my left side where my ribs are. I thought it was possibly my spleen. I put off going to the doctors because after a few days it was gone. December, January it happened again. The same ever time. It felt like I was being stabbed on my left side for a few days after my period each time. February was different... I got the pain 6 hours before my period started. I then got my period and had the usual agonising period pains -which I had experienced since I was 11 years old but always told "it happens to everyone, stop being a drama queen"- and then when it stopped the stabbing left side pain was back.

After four months of this I decided to go to the doctors, February 2017. The doctor instantly told me he thought it was endometriosis. Id never heard of it before. I says to the doctor "Is endometriosis related to my spleen?" haha!

I was referred to gynaecology. I went to my appointment and was told it cant be endometriosis because I have conceived to children naturally, he says, we see endometriosis in woman in there 30's who are trying to find the reason they cant conceive. I says to the doctor that's all fine and good but I was 19 and 20 when I conceived, correct me if I'm wrong but my chances of conceiving then are greater than an average 30 year old women never mind health conditions. He scanned me and said I had a small cyst on my left ovary and the pain could be radiating. I was angry to have been dismissed so easily, for having had two children. I told him I had every single symptom on the NHS website. I wasn't really happy being told it was just a cyst. So I had a follow up appointment in 2 months to confirm it was a cyst as it was quite small. 

2 months later and by this point I was getting the stabbing pain in my left side every day mostly, my back was in agony most of the time although nothing compared to that stabbing pain. A more accurate description of that pain would be as if someone was grabbing that area and twisting and squeezing it and jabbing it with there nails. Anyhow, it got to the day of my appointment and I couldn't go. The doctor had made me feel like a silly little girl crying wolf and by this point trust me I felt it! No one believed me. Everyone said period pains were normal, I couldn't possibly be in this pain, people have it worse, someone else has endometriosis and they live just fine. I could have screamed, privately I often did. I was waking up in the middle of the night screaming with the pain. Having two toddlers was super hard as well. I can honestly say as much as I love my children, if I knew there life was going to be watching me in bed in agony or passed out from pain meds I wouldnt have had them! They deserve so much better. Luckily, they have a great dad. 

So I miss my appointment, no one wanted to fight with me, why should I? 

I get another appointment for November 2017, one year after the pain first started. I couldn't go on any more. I was crippled, I lost friends, I was losing my self as a mother, I was losing family. I went to my appointment. My cyst had grown and another cyst had appeared. And get this, I was diagnosed via scan with endometriosis! I cried in the doctors office at the fact there was some proof finally that I wasn't crazy and I wasn't making this up. I was given a surgery date for early January. 

By this point, my depression was through the roof. I was drinking every time I didn't have the kids to numb the pain (physical and emotional), I was suicidal. The weekend after my diagnoses, I tried to kill myself. The relief of having that diagnoses soon turned to dread that this could be my life. Theres no cure, my pain certainly didn't get any easier. I was becoming less and less able as a mother, that what it really comes down to. I'm ashamed that I can't be the mother I was, the mother I want to be. I want to take my kids out. I want them to be able to bounce all over me. I don't want to ship them off because I can't handle them. I miss them so much when I don't have them and I put myself through so much pain just to see and have them and no one understands that or believes that. All I want is to be a good mother. I want to cook them good food, cooking is a passion of mines that I've lost through the inability to stand and cook. I'm in my house 24/7 nearly and I am depressed and sick of it. 

So, anyway I tried to kill myself with the pain killers, unfortunately my partner woke up and found me. The drip they put me on was awful. I just wanted to be dead (I still do). I was released from hospital the next day, I didn't see my kids for two weeks. I took that time to try and feel better but I didn't. I felt worse. With Christmas coming up the stress was mounting and I was as sore as always and feeling more and more depressed. One of my favourite things at christmas is settling up the kids toys after they've went to bed and making the place look great. I could barely even do that by myself. I was seeing the kids less and less because I hated them seeing how sick I am. Being told I was abandoning them. I missed them so much.

The date came for my surgery and I went in. I had to cysts removed, my bowel, bladder and ovaries were all fused to my abdomen, my bowel got ripped when being removed from my abdomen. When I came around I was in no pain (the pain from surgery was nothing compared to what I was used to) and for a full 11 days I had no endometriosis pain. I was ecstatic.I took the kids out on day 11 by myself and that very night, the pain returned... 

now its been around 6/7 weeks since my surgery and my pain is only worse. I see my gynaecologist at the start of March. I'm going to see my doctor tomorrow. I have a new crippling pain which is effecting my ability to walk easily. My hip bone on the right side has that same stabbing, grabbing twisting pain. My back is sorer than it ever was. I actually at 23 years old had to get my partner to wash my hair for me because I physically couldn't. At 23 years old, this isn't what my life should be. I should be able to live it instead of being bed bound most of the time.

I have very little hope to go on, I hate that people don't believe the pain. I hate that I cant be a good mother. I hate that I can't work. I hate that I cant have the odd good day without it making people disbelieve me. I just want it all to end.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Suzi1994

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologies for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

Kindest regards

Patient

• Posted

Hi suzi! Just me reading this breaks my heart! I do somewhat know how you feel! I have had this abdominal pain upper and lower along with some other endometriosis symptoms. Endometriosis never even came up till I brought it up. My nephews gf had it n after telling her all the tests I had done n all my symptoms she said r u sure u don’t have endometriosis? My journey started going to the ER 4 times in 1 month because my pain was so bad I’ve had ct scans done with and without contrast I’ve had mris all kinda blood wook everything came back good. Then I went to my gastrointestinal doc he did all kind of tests more CT’s another mri more blood work upper gi scope  n still nothing everything looked good.  Felt like no one was believing me finally went to my gyno and asked him if I could have endometriosis he said well u already have adynmosis I don’t think I spelled that right but they say it’s the “sister” of endometriosis I also have cysts n fibroids.  I am scheduled to have laparoscopic surgery March 2nd and praying every night it’s what it is and he can remove it n I can have my life back! I’m not quite as bad as u but I understand you depression I feel the same way I have lost friends I don’t wanna do things I normally do and this pain has taken over my life so I’m hoping to get my life back! Good luck and always try and keep your head up remember your kids need you! ❤️
  • Posted

Hi Suzi

I am so sorry. You are going through a horrible time. I saw the post & typed a reply right away but couldn't finish it so it disappeared. Hope I can finish all in one sitting now. Doing nebulizer for my lungs to keep them healthy so there's Hope!

First: that doctor was an idiot about conception & endo. There are women who were uber fertile & became infertile by 25 (moi), there are 20 year old women struggling to conceive & carry 1 child, and there are women still conceiving naturally at 30 and 40. I happen to know 1 of each of these still-fertile after 30 women, plus there are women on here. Some need fertility treatment help but still get pregnant & have a baby. That doc's an idiot.

I had a total hysterectomy back in '82, age 27. Passage of time made me assume that docs treated endo women better in this century. Ha! Being on here showed I shouldn't assume. More docs know that endo exists, but the same ignorance, cruelty, and condescension still seem common. I am sorry that you went through that.

2d, I am thankful that the moderator stepped in. Endo is depressing; not knowing is depressing; chronic pain is chronically depressing. You've got all 3, so no wonder you've considered/tried self-harm/suicide! There is help out there for you and we don't want to lose you now that we know you. I don't know where you are. In the UK, I'd start with info on this site about where you can get help. If nothing else talking to a stranger about our health issues can help-- no worrying about whether listener is bored! Meanwhile we are here and we know what you are going through. We believe & respect your pain, physical & emotional. In the last 2 years before my surgeries, still undiagnosed, I used to lie down on a bare floor to chill some of the pain away. It is no fun.

3d after your diagnosis, try what they suggest. If that doesn't help after several months, I would not normally throw this out there but you & your family need some help. About a year ago a mom came on this site & posted about a abdominal nerve-cutting procedure that had been done on her teenaged daughter here in the US. It was a bold & desperate move. I hope they are still pleased with the outcome. If interested you can look back through old threads to find them & their info. I have not had this surgery, I'm not a member of any medical profession and I am suggesting nothing more than that you find out more about it.

We may not answer instantly, but we'll answer. Be gentle with yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.