My story of how I broke my ankle!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

hey guys and gals!

i guess I should start with when I first Sprained my ankle 1.5 years ago! I was at a party dancing with my cousin and there was a mat on a tiled floor which I went over with my right foot, slipped, twisted it and fell as a result! The pain was overwhelming and my foot turned purple immediately! I got to the doctor who sent me for X-rays and he confirmed it was a sprain. No op needed just 6 weeks of physio! But needless to say my ankle was never the same again!

there were times where I'd be walking down stairs for example, and the weirdest feeling was my foot would just give way! I never fell but always came close! I knew I had a weak ankle! Then dec 28th 2014 came! I was at the shops with a friend, and walking back to the car with a slight spring in my step, I stepped down a small step, and once again my ankle gave way but this time I fell and heard a crack! I saw something protruding under my skin and it swelled instantaneously but thought I just sprained it again! But this time the pain was different! I knew something wasn't right! I screamed moreso than when I sprained it! I eventually got to the ER, and when I went for X-rays, the lady taking them said simply "wow!!", and I knew! She said, "yep its broken!!!". So they contacted the orth surgeon and I had to go straight to a bed in the hospital, got an IV, and that was it. My op was booked for Monday, 29 dec! Doc said I broke and fractured the fibula!! (I hope that's the correct spelling smile )

he said I need a plate and screw on opposite side! So I am now 3 weeks weeks post surgery. One thing though I am lucky with smile is I was put into an air cast straight away! No cement cast for me!! But I have to sleep in it and can't bare weight at all! But I saw the doc last week Monday and he said it is still 6 weeks no weight baring! Crutches have been challenging but I am getting stronger!

i still have a long road ahead but each day definitely gets better! I am from South Africa, just some useless information smile but I do think the medical circumstances are so different in each country! I was also only booked off work for 2 weeks! I went back last week! It is proving to be very tough at work! 

Well, that's my story smile I will also post updates as I go! I'm feeling very good today even though I didn't sleep well last night! No pain killers have been taken yet today! Having a good day! I hope you all are too smile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Welcome Kat...

It's sure interesting how doctors use different techniques. I have the same problem: broken/fractured fibula. But I was simply put into a split, and now a hard cast. No surgery. Your treatment sounds so very different. Was yours considered a clean break? Are you at least getting out of the house?

Teri

• Posted

Welcome Kat...(sorry if you get this twice....)

It's sure interesting how doctors use different techniques. I have the same problem: broken/fractured fibula. But I was simply put into a split, and now a hard cast. No surgery. Your treatment sounds so very different. Was yours considered a clean break? Are you at least getting out of the house?

• Posted

Ye was a clean break, the tip broke right off!!! Yes I'm managing to get out other than work on weekends! I've managed to get a some what comfortable walking procedure on my crutches which helps, I don't get as tired! Like I say I feel each day just gets easier! smile
  • Posted

Hi Kat you poor thing i to badly sprained my ankle 7 years ago and 15 sprains later over a period of 7 years and the hospital just telling me to elevate and ice it each time i did it i finally went over on my ankle last year and finally snapped all of ligaments there was nothing holding my ankle together so after an MRI and the bad news i had a full reconstruction of ligaments on my right ankle i was 6 weeks in a cast then 4 weeks in a boot then an ankle brace now after lots of ophsio im back at work on my feet all day with little aggravation its taken 6 months to get to where i am but i can honestly say i feel like i have a new ankle it does still worry me that i might fall again but im just very careful good luck with every thing it does take time i thought i would never get there but i did good luck with every thing
    • Posted

Wow Allison! Shame! sad( im glad you are getting better though! Yes I think I will be terrified when I'm better that I hurt it again or worse, the other one! It also scares me how long a road I still have a head of me! sad( it seems to only be the beginning of a loooooong healing process!!! sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.