My story, what do you think ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have done loads and loads of reading, and some of it is contridictory. I have seen 5 different doctors, and they agree on some things, but not others. Only one of the five doctors really appeared to know about the condition.

Firstly, it should be remembered that I broke the joint of my big toe on my right foot 3 times, when I practiced a martial art about 30 years ago. It has never been right since, and has always ached when the ccold weather sets in. I am now nearly 59. Three years ago I had an attack of what looked like gout. The knuckle of my big toe on my right foot swole  up and went shiny red. It was agony and lasted about a week. I visited the doctor and had a blood test some time afterwards, which showed a normal uric acid level. The doctor told me that it may be pseudo gout, but not to worry unless it flares up again. In the begginning of June this year I had another attack, and have had 3 since. That's 4 attacks in three and a half months. I had a blood test which one doctor told me was on the high end of mormal, and another doctor told me was high. I have been given various anti inflammatories, and colchecine, which I can't take because it makes me so ill. I am now taking 100mg allopurinol daily, but have had two attacks since taking this drug, which makes me think my gout isn't uric acid related? I also had a recent xray, but have to make an appointment to see a doctor for the results, which is easier said than done at my surgery. The doctors have rejected the idea of pseudo gout, but I have a suspicion that's because they don't know what it is. I have tried discussing lifestyle with them, but all five have said the same thing, "you either get it or you don't". To be fair, this is confirmed by one of the studies I read which states that 90% are down to bad luck or hereditary reasons .Having read a few studies, these prove a little contradictory as well. Ironically I am a life long vegetarian, and from what I can understand animal protein is the worst offender. I do drink alcohol, but I avoid beer and spirits, and stick to cider and wine. From what I have read, it's the brewing process and contents of the alcohol which are the problem, rather than the alcohol per say.

?I would love to know what you think

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

I am not an expert by any means. I was just diagnosed a few weeks ago after toughing it out for a few years. However, when the diagnosis came I cut out all alcohol immediately and started watching all sorts of food. While I only eat meat once or twice a week I also avoid certain vegetables like broccoli, spinach, and asparagus. Dried beans are supposed tonbe bad as well.

I used to homebrew beer and I can tell you that the fundamental difference in brewing between beer, wine, and cider is the ingredients. The basic process is that sugars are eaten by the yeast and the yeast poop out alcohol and pee out CO2...very basic concept. So, I always wince when someone suggests that this or that type of alcohol is "better" for such and such condition. Alcohol is poison no matter how you stack it...but dang do I love me a good IPA. Still, the general concensus is that beer is worse than wine or cider.

Not knowing your location I'll assume that you are drinking good (as in real) cider and not the kool-aid served in the US. Anything back-sweetened runs the risk of having high fructose corn syrup (or other non-cane sugar sweeteners) in it which is a huge trigger for some people. If your cider tastes sweet in any way then that could be your problem. They will back sweeten it with cheap apple or white grape juice...which is usually juice concentrate with other added flavors and colors.

Otherwise, drinking causes dehydration problems which can cause attacks. I am not 100% on what is causing mine so I am starting by pushing everything away. I woild recommend similar to you. If you strip away as many possibilities as you can then start adding them back into your life one at a time until an attack happens you might get to the bottom of what causes your flare-ups.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I have read some quite in depth stuff on alcohol effecting gout, rather than the generic stuff fead to us by the NHS, who would like everyone to stop drinking anything but water. You may of guessed that I live in the UK. The reason Beer is worse than cider or wine is that dider and wine don't contain yeast. Anyway, I had my sixth visit to the doctor today, who really isn't concerned about diet of any discription. The other doctors have been exactly the same. When ever I attempt to discuss this, they just tell me you either get it or you don't. I have met several people suffering from gout who have never been big drinkers, but have had years of problems. After all, gout is just another form of arthritis, and you are either unlucky enough to get it, or lucky enough not to. Personally, I refuse to live life like a monk. 

I visited the doctor today for the results of the x-ray. Unfortunately the damage I did to the toe 30 years ago has been deformed as a result of arthritis. On top of that, and unrelated, gout has damaged the surrounding tissues. In short, the joint is f^%$"d. He has told me that he will refer me to a surgeon if it gets worse, but has also told me that the chances of him being able to do anything is remote. 

On another note, why doesn't spell checker work on this site ?

• Posted

One of the triggers for gout is joint injury so, having a compromised joint in the first place is going to be an issue. Blood uric acid levels can be normal but people still get gout. The only way to really know is to have the joint sampled for uric acid crystals. One of the sources of uric acid can be mal processing of fructose (fruit sugar) when injested in high levels so even a vegetarian can get gout. Watch sweet fruit and avoid any sweetened beverages particularly when sweetened with high fructose corn syrup. Unfortunately 'natural' fruit juices lacking the pulp and fibre of the fruit which helps slow absorption are also an issue for some. I take malic acid and celery seed on a regular basis and have positive results. I think everybody is a bit different because the disease is complex so, you have to find out what works for you. In the end it is an exercise in developing patience which might be the only positive coming out of all of this....Wish you well on your journey. 

• Posted

I have to agree with tic that a compromised joint will harbor crystals. A few years ago I hurt the ball of my foot, next day I was in excruciating gout pain in the exact location where I hurt my foot distupting the crystals that were there already but had never given me any issues. To this day this is where I have mild gout flare ups. The joint even though it healed, and I took medicine to stop the gout inflammation, the area is always sensitive to any rocky or uneven pavement. My grandmother's doctor told me once, that gout runs in families, I believe he's right because I got my first gout attack when I was 14 years old. A double whammy because both sides of the family suffer from gout. Go figure that it skips all my siblings, and I'm the unlucky one to get it.

However, that's not say that I could get away with eating anything. I get gout attacks when I eat wheat. So I stay away from wheat altogether as well as anything with high fructose another culprit to the cause.

In America, it is believed that gout can be triggered by joint damage or a purine.

If your uric acid was normal mostly likely it was caused by the damage already existing on your toe where the crystals have lodged into the pockets of the space that are open. This is how my doctor explained it to me.

• Posted

cont. Food in your case is not the so much the issue, except for the accumulation of crystals in your toe, perhaps aggravated due to alcohol consumption, lack of exercise, and lack of drinking water.
  • Posted

Ummm. So much confliction. So far I am to believe that the following diet can effect gout. All animal protein including fish, seet fruit, vegetables high in iron, tomatoes, sweet drinks, and alcohol. To be honest I think that leaves, onions, lettuce and water. Perhaps putting up with the pain of gout is better than total deprevation. I am aware that from now on gout will be part of my life, but there is no way I am going to let it take over.

It's interesting that you agree that a previous injury can cause gout, as my doctor feels that it is coincidental. 

• Posted

I believe that if you have a predisposition to having gout not pseudo gout then food is the culprit. In your case, food is not the cause of your gout but the arthritis in your joint and the calcium pyrophosphate crystals that caused the inflammation.
    • Posted

Laughed out loud at the lettuce and water comment as well as the earlier monk comment. I had and injury on my foot as well and have heard that gout crystals are more prone to form there due to the damage. As far as food goes, nearly all food has purines in it. The issue is eating things that are low in purines. So, for seafood you can eat salmon, tilapia and fish with scales but clams and shrimp are not good. Same with veggies. I read that the dark green vegetables are high in purine while cauliflower and others are not. Where food is the culprit we need to make sure that the removal of purine doesn't bottleneck in our system becuase once it backs up we get we get hosed.

Ultimately, I think the issue with contradictory information is that what sets off each individual's gout can be completely different so there is very little consistency with which to create a conventional wisdom. Yet, at the same time everyone thinks they are an expert because they "fixed" their own gout pain. I think it isnmore complex and whatbworks fir me may not work for you. My clams may be your beer and our clams and beer may be someone else's soda. Clams and beer...

Anyway, that is why I chose the monk's life for the time being. If I can figure out what causes my flare ups then I will cut that item(s) out of my diet. I'm praying that it is not beer.

• Posted

Wow, spell check. Sorry, I am using my cell and didn't proof read before posting.

• Posted

This is the only site that I post on where my spell checker doesn't work, and why the hell can't I edit it afterwards ?

• Posted

People should stop beating themselves up about getting gout, as if it's all their own fault. FACT, 9 out of 10 people who get gout get it  through hereditary reasons. Not because they eat the wrong foods, not because they drink to much, and not because they are overweight. Gout is another form of arthritis, and that's just bad luck. Needless to say diet can have an effect, but I would suggest find what sets yours off and then avoid it. There are loads of fat people eating and drinkning what they want, and they don't get gout, and there are loads of healthy living slim people who do get it. 

LIVE LIFE

• Posted

Haha, trying to live it but it is a pain in the foot. I am at a point right now where I dealt with the pain so long that it is now constant in either the top ot bottom of my big toe and in my heel. I am overweight and did drink too much but my weight came from years of lifting weights and rhen stopping abruptly. My goal was to hit 200lbs with minimal body fat. I did and then when the foot pain started it slowly drove me out of the gym.

I've been back in for a while now but the pain is still there so I figured I would throw a Hail Mary by changing my diet. I don't plan on keeping with this diet for long. Also, I know that my gout is hereditary. My grandmother, two uncles, and dad have it and none of them drank and only one of them is overweight. So, I agree, but like anyhting else, the stigma behind the disease determines how people react toward it.

Also, thanks for the post. It did remind me that this is not a punishment form me liking my ale.

• Posted

I agree live life without pain! If you can't then live it vicariously, that's if your brain isn't stuck on the pain.

• Posted

These replies are so frustrating. We all have gout, but there isn't any consistent factor that is helpful sad I've had attacks since I was in my mid 20's. I'm 40+ now and I think I might getting an attack about 2-3 times a months. I'm to the point of switching my diet to celery.

• Posted

There are foods you shouldn't have, like Beer and alcohol. As for foods, wheat is a major one. There is a purine chart online you can look up for foods you should avoid in large quantities. I got gout when I was 14, and been living with it since then. All you can do is control the level of purine foods you eat. I avoid wheat & herring completely because they bring on the attacks. Find what brings on the attacks and you can start living and breathing a little easier.

• Posted

Alypurinol and Colchacine. But I have good, great news. And hopefully it is helpful for a lot of other people. First and foremost. I cut out Pizza, Rice and breads completely from my diet. At this time I also started some crazy home remedy I saw online: 1 tbs of baking soda 3 tbs of lemon juice mixed. (Every morning). I started both of thes at the same time, so I'm not sure which has done it. But I've been medication free. And gout free since my last post. Even if I found out that the diet is the thing doing the trick, I'd still continue with the baking soda because I find that it keeps me regular. Which also probably had a contributing factor to passing purines. Here's the wonderful news: I have at least two glasses of wine at night. And I probably drink more than a college student on spring break on Friday nights. Still gout free since my last post here. Seriously good to have my life back. Albeit, life without pizza sad

• Posted

The medical profession blame booze and smoking for just about everything. In the UK it's first thing a doctor asks you before you have even told them what's wrong. I don't smoke, I don't eat meat, I play golf 4 times a week, and I am very active for a man of my age. If they think I am going to give up going to the pub, they can forget it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.