My story with Pityriasis Rosea. Mine was gone in 2 weeks!

Posted , 5 users are following.

DETAILS OF SYMPTOMS: As with others, my case began with the oval, red patch that began to get scaly. After about two weeks with the Herald's patch, I began to notice little bumps on my back. These little bumps were hardly noticeable, apart from the bumpiness. As described online, they did resemble a Christmas tree shape ion my back.

A few days later I started to get some little pink dots on my chest. These bumps took on more of an oval shape, becoming bumpy and raised, and also spread up my neck and around my collar bone area. Soon after this they began to get itchy. If they itch you, don't scratch them! I also highly recommend taking an antihistamine to calm the itchiness. In my case I took the tiny white 24-hour loratadine pill (which I had on-hand and use for allergies on occasion too), but make sure you aren't allergic to whatever medicine you do take.

I also got the respiratory tract infection, which began as a sore throat and turned into a cold. Thankfully my rash was limited to my torso area.

FIRST ATTEMPTS: While doctors said it would go away with time, I felt pretty helpless and came onto this forum and other sites to see if there was anything I could try. First I tried the bio oil, which was super expensive, but one of the users on the forum said it helped, so I decided to try it. In my case, the red marks were all over my chest, collar bone area, neck and a little of my stomach. Because oil does not soak in or dry very well, it was not the most preferable treatment and ended up having to wipe some of it off so I could get dressed and go on with my day.

My next try was diaper rash cream, which has zinc oxide. I only applied this one time, as the cream is white, sticky and dries a little more powdery. While this may have helped, I sought other means.

MAIN PRODUCTS THAT HELPED! smile

After reading numerous posts advising the use of Head & Shoulders shampoo for body wash, I went out and bought the 2 in 1 Classic Clean original version. While it is supposed to help with an itchy, red, flaky scalp, it is meant to heal skin! So it does make sense smile Just a few days after using it I noticed the bumps were fading, both in color and feel. I recommend lathering and rubbing it gently into the affected areas. If possible, let it sit and soak on your skin for a few minutes instead of washing it right off. Also, make sure to shower with lukewarm water, as hot water increases redness of rash and irritates it.

After showering, I also applied Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Lotion. This lotion said it heals and softens rough, dry skin, smoothes marks and tones skin. I saw this in Target for about $3-5 and thought I would give it a shot since my skin was rough and dry and definitely needed some healing. The combination of this lotion and the Head & Shoulders shampoo as body wash worked wonders for me. Of course it may take 2 to 3 days to notice much of a difference, but in my case the rash went from scaly red, oval marks all over my chest, collarbone, and neck area to faded and hardly noticeable marks. After a week and a half to two weeks it was completely gone. I continued to use the Palmer's Cocoa Butter lotion and Head & Shoulders after that for a few days since I had some left and just to make sure it was gone.

If you're like me and have to buck up and continue to go to school and work and everyday life, I recommend those two products above. It was nice to be able to add the body wash into my morning shower, with just a few extra minutes added, and to put on the lotion before dressing instead of applying oil or diaper rash cream.

Anyways, I just wanted to come back to this forum to encourage any of you who may be struggling with this skin rash. While you may be a little discouraged at times, just remember that you'll have your normal skin back again. And won't take it for granted! smile These little things aren't easy, but help us see the little blessings and joys, even just of enjoying clear collar bones or other areas that may be clear. Stay positive and don't let your identity be found in appearance, as I struggled at times with during my break out. While it is uncomfortable at times, just remember that it is temporary and you're not alone. Stand tall and don't let this steal the smile from your face. smile

All the best to you!

4 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I've been using Eucerin Original Healing Soothing cream and I've been washing with Head and Soldiers Original shampoo. I'm gonna get the cocoa butter one and see if it works!

i feel like sometimes I get discouraged and I needed to hear that eventually I'll have my normal skin back. Thankssmile 

• Posted

Thanks for your post. I have been suffering PR since last Saturday, and it's all over my body now. I tried tanning but it didn't help. It only aggravated my rash and made it itchier than before.

I just bought the H&S shampoo and the same lotion today and just tried it on my rash. I hope it heals my rash soon because I'm seriously getting sick and tired of it. Crossing fingers that the next few days I will see some improvement. Again, thank you! smile

• Posted

Thankyou.  I'm in week 3 and big oval blotches have dried up and now a new rash Has appeared and its smaller but everywhere!  Neck is the worse, so red and sore.  It's even spreading onto my face.  Thanks for the words of encouragment.  Have been using h&s so wIll continue. Feel very miserable! 
  • Posted

I've had it for over a month now, and it started spreading to my face about a week or two ago. Apparently it's uncommon for it to appear on the face but I've got it all over my cheeks, chin and jawline and I can barely stand going outside these days because it makes me so unhappy. I've just tried Head and Shoulders for the first time, so I hope it works! At the moment it just feels a bit uncomfortable, almost like it's burning, but I'm going to take that as a good sign? Thanks for the advice and encoragement smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.