My SVT story.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone. I am just here to share my story and please feel free to share your SVT stories in the comments! Anyways, I have had Supraventricular Tachycardia since I was about 10 years old. I remember the first time I had my first episode and I just thought it was my adrenaline and nothing too big, but I was 10 after all, I didn't know better. Later on in middle school and high school, I had many many many SVT episodes. I started to realize that it was not at all normal with how uncontrollably fast my heart was beating. I would immediately sit down and try to drink anything that was sitting next to me (thinking it would help slow down the beats). After my parents had felt how fast my heart was actually beating within having an attack, they took me to the ER. Of course the episode had stopped by the time we got there and the EKG came out normal. The doctors had thought that maybe it was just a lack in having enough electrolytes. However, moving along past the many more episodes I have had throughout high school, my senior year, I was on the soccer field in the middle of a game and all of a sudden out of no where, I had an episode and I didn't want to just sit down, so I tried to keep myself up and playing and I ended up passing out. No one knew what was happening and what to do. I felt embarrassed and terrified. I was having a panic attack while it was happening as well because the episodes never went past 4 minutes for me, and this one went on for 12 minutes straight. After arriving to the ER, the doctor decided to set me up with a Heart monitor. The monitor was small and it was pretty cool. It could take my EKG on the go whenever an episode was happening. Unfortunately, of course an episode never happened while I had it, but the condition was still there. Soon enough, the doctors knew it was SVT and I was scheduled to have an ablation surgery. At first I wasn't sure about the surgery because HELLO, its my heart! But that was the better choice in the end. I successfully had the ablation and I have never felt stronger. I do however still get extra random palpitations and loss of breath, but I have not yet had another SVT episode since the surgery. I have been one year SVT free. Because of the ablation, I am able to enjoy the sport I love and play in the band. I will forever still have the fear of SVT returning, but I will never regret it. If all, having this condition has made me realize how strong I am and how I overcame such an awful condition. Once again, please share your stories down below! I would absolutely love to hear them! 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for such a positive post. I'm due to have an ablation in a couple of months time, andvunderstandably a bit nervous, so it's very reassuring to hear your story.

• Posted

Good to hear it's working for you. However, sorry to rain on your parade, but sometimes SVT comes back, or as something else like in my case. I had an ablation 10 years ago, I felt fantastic, then my symptoms came back and in some cases worse. Not sure what your situation might be, but I wish you the best. But don't panic if it comes back some day. It's common. Try to live your life and don't stress about it. Good luck and take care. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.