My Symfony experience

Posted , 7 users are following.

I opted for the Symfony lens for both eyes nearly two years ago.

First, I have to say that I miss my real lenses.

I find these lenses very unnatural, and I’m not sure that I will ever adapt to them.

For some reason, the vision is unstable. I’m not sure if the problem is with some sort of variation in my cornea, but sometimes the vision will be quite clear and other times, somewhat distorted.

Also, after doing close work for a bit, things far away will be out of focus.

My guess is that while I’m doing close work, the muscles that used to change the focus are still trying to make the lenses focus. Just a guess. I can’t figure out what else would explain it.

Another thing is that when I’m in a brightly lit environment, the vision is very flashy and sort of jumpy. It can be unnerving.

There is sort of a visual jumpiness in a lot of situations. Again, I find this unnatural.

To be fair, my left eye has astigmatism from Lasik that was performed 20 years ago, making things worse.

The astigmatism makes things “less than clear” through my whole range of vision in that eye, which is frustrating.

I don’t know if a Toric lens could have fixed that.

I’ve heard that the Cornea and flap might be able to be “touched up” to fix that problem, but not sure that I want to risk it.

Adding to my troubles are the fair amount of floaters that I have.

I’m not sure what other possibilities might have made my outcome more favorable.

I have always had excellent near vision, which I sorely miss.

I sometimes wonder if opting for something that would have preserved that might have been the best plan.

I think that the echelette design of the Symfony lens gives certain advantages, but it also creates some problems.

Enjoy your real eyes while you have them.

One other thing. . .

I have a friend who had her cataracts done twenty years ago, and she can see close and far. She doesn’t have any idea what IOLs they used or what enhancement might have been done.

Crazy.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Thomas - couldn't yell from your post but did you have lens replacement due to cataracts?

I have read it is more difficult for surgeons to calculate power for a lasik patient. Were you able to provide your surgeon with your pre-lasik measurements?

Astigmatism greater than 1.0 would cause bluriness. Symfony does come in a toric version to correct that. But it would depend on amount of astigmatism you had.

Have you seen your regular optometrist for a refraction test to get an exact prescription? If yes and you could provide that here some of is would be able to tell you a little more of what could be going on.

With any premium lens it is important that the calculation of power was on target and there is little astigmatism. These can be corrected with glasses however usually not the goal of paying for premium lenses.

I have 2 Symfony lenses implanted 6 weeks apart summer 2017. Colours and vision for me is quite natural. I had 6 weeks between surgeries so could compare. did have a brownish tint that was more noticeable on white or light colours due to the cataracts. But vision was seamless from bear to far.

• Posted

Yes, my lens replacement was due to cataracts.

My surgeon had my records and should have had the pre Lasik measurements.

I see my regular optometrist at the end of the month.

It's good to hear that your procedure went so well !

Thanks for your input.

• Posted

Hopefully we can figure out what is going on with your vision.

The only issue I have had with Symfony is seeing the concentric circles around certain light sources at night.

• Posted

yes- I see those also.

After my LASIK procedure 20 years ago, the doctor said that I had 20/20 vision and some slight astigmatism.

I was unhappy with the outcome, but didn't push it since the vision was pretty good.

So now I'm stuck.

At one point the doctor said that he could fix it with a PRK procedure, but I didn't want to pay again.

We'll see what they say at my eye exam.

• Posted

Thomas, I totally feel your frustration. I had a symphony lens put in my dominant eye october 2017. 6 weeka later i had my other eye done with a symphony tecnis low add 3.25 multi focal lens. I Talked talked to the doctor about the second lens needing a better up close vision due to the symphony not being able to see anything up close. I NOW WISH I WOULD HAVE JUST PUT BOTH SYMPHONY LENSES.. MY EYES HAVE NO HARMONY BETWEEN THEM. ITS A VERY FRUSTRATING ISSUE. ITS LIKE ONE EYE IS TRYING TO OVER POWER THE OTHER AND THE OTHER IS JUST OFF THERE DOING ITS OWN THING. NOW I DID HAVE PERFECT VISION PRIOR TO THIS SURGERY SO I ASSUME THIS IS PART OF THE ISSUE. I JUST WISH THE DOCTOR WOULD HAVE ATLEAST TRIED A CONTACT ON ME SHOWING ME WHAT IT WAS GOING TO FEEL LIKE HAVING TWO DIFFERENT LENSES. AT DISTANCE I AM OK BUT UP CLOSE TILL ABOUT 10 ft is really confusing to my eyes. i did get glasses single vision and it helps a good bit, but ive never worn glasses and hate it. the script is only +.75 in right eye amd. +.25 in my left eye. its good for that 2-15 ft but after that i cant see long diatance with the symphony pens which is the .75. so i am constantly taking them off and putting them on which is a pain. i will say if had to do over again. i would juat live with cataracs and have a little blurred vision while driving and in the sun. in saying all of this yoir not alone. and fyi im only 47.

best to you

sincerely

GEORGE

• Posted

I am very sorry to hear your experience.

Your situation sounds a little like mine, and we both share the frustration.

Best to you George

• Posted

Hello Thomas,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having several issues with your Symfony lenses. I had cataract surgery on my right eye in August 2018, and my left eye in September 2018. i have a Symfony lens in right eye and Symfony TORIC in left eye to address the astigmatism. I also had Lasik surgery about 11 years prior to my cataract surgery. In addition, I had a serious problem with dry eyes, which is now under control with the use of Restasis. My ophthalmologist was very experienced in the use of Symfony lenses and I had 6-7 i-TRACES done prior to my first surgery. I also used a second prescription eye drop, Xxidra, before the first surgery.

I am very happy with my results. I have very clear vision at all distances, and am very thankful to my doctor. He told me at my first visit in January 2018, that I would need to have two similar i-TRACES before he could select the correct lenses for my eyes. It was certainly worth the wait. I consider my new vision a miracle, and attribute my successful results to the experience and knowledge of my doctor. At my last checkup, my doctor said he was going to share my case and results with other doctors at a conference he was planning to attend. He said many of his colleagues still believe that patients who have had Lasik surgery are not good candidates for premium lenses, and he does not agree with them. My doctor is the head of the OPHTHAMOLOGY group that I was referred to by my primary doctor. i actually saw a different ophthamologist in the group first, who referred my to the head of the group because he was more experienced in premium lenses and in working with patients who had Lasik surgery.

I do see the star or sphere images from bright headlights at night, but it does not bother me. I just don't look directly at them, and it is a small price to pay for the great vision I now experience.

I would suggest you go back to your doctor and share with him/her all the challenges you are experiencing with the lenses. I know there are procedures that can be done to slightly adjust your vision. Also, as a last resort, you could be fitted for glasses or contact lenses.

I hope your doctor can help you, and wish you the best of luck in improving your vision.

• Posted

It sounds like your procedure went very well thanks to a great doctor. My doctor had great credentials, and I am surprised that he wasn't able to get my left eye right.

I will be looking into options for improving the situation later this month.

My Symfony lenses do some things pretty well.

I am disappointed in near vision. I had hoped it would be better. Close vision with the right eye is fairly good, but the astigmatism in the left eye causes trouble.

thanks for your input !!

• Posted

THANK YOU SO MUCH TO THOMAS, SUE AN, GEORGE, SAJ FOR YOUR SHARING OF EXPERIENCE. HOPE THOMAS GETS RELIEF FAST FROM HIS PROBLEMS.

I HAVE BOTH LENSES FROM TECNIC CALIFORNIA AND THOSE ARE FAR VISION LENSES FOR NEAR VISION I HAVE +2.2 NUMBERED LENS. I HOWEVER OPTED FOR GETTING A PROGRESSIVE, SENSITY SPECTACLE FROM HOYA WITH ALL TYPE OF COATINGS VIZ, BLUE CONTROL ETC. HOYA HAVE CHARGED ME A FORTUNE FOR THESE SPECTACLES. I HAVE NO PROBLEM OF VISION WITH THESE spectacles

My problem is sensitivity to light and even with all these technologies in spectacles, the brightness does hurt me.

ALSO WHEN I TURN MY HEAD SIDEWAYS AS WELL AS UP&DOWN I FEEL GIDDY WHICH IS A HINDRANCE WHILE DRIVING . I FEEL EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE WHILE DRIVING. IN THE LAST 40 YEARS OF MY DRIVING THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I FEEL HANDICAPPED.

NEVERTHELESS! I FELT SO NICE TO HEAR FROM ALL OF YOU ABOUT YOUR EXPERIENCES EVEN THOUGH WE ARE LOCATED TENS OF THOUSAND KILOMETERS APART?

SHRIKANT

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.