my symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone waiting on a doctors app but just thought id write on here and hear peoples view. For many years I have suffered with what I thpught was IBS, Untill I read up about crohn's. My symptoms are:

Diahrrea, horrid pains in belly before a really loose stool mainly twice a month or so depends really, mouth ulcers, fizzy type acid in throat (sometimes) Just generally loose stools all the time and go to toilet quite often. I also read that if you have Chron's you can get redness and sore eyes not sure if that is true but I also ghet that. I am waiting too see what the doctor suggests as I have had some bloods and the esr and crp levels which show inflammation have been a bit raised, I would like to know does this sound like IBS or something else.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear you're experiencing a range of unpleasant symtpoms.

There's plenty of overlap between IBS and IBD symptoms so it's difficult to tell. Aptheous ulcers in the mouth can be a sign of Crohns but can be a sign of being run down too.

The tests you have will show non specific inflammation - meaning it won't say if you have Crohns but will say you have inflammation to further explore. In fact there's no specific 'Crohns test' but various tests that help to inform if you need further investigation e.g. a colonoscopy.

A Faecal Calprotectin test is a stool test commonly used to check for intestinal inflammation. There's a clear cut off point between IBS and IBD - so that may help in initial diagnosis.

I'm no expert but had five years of IBS now finally diagnosed and being treated as Crohns. Make sure you're confident all avenues are being explored and if you're not happy don't take no as an answer until you are. Good luck! Matt

• Posted

Hiya Thanks for your reply, Yes I have bloods that have showen raise in my inflammation markers but as you said they ar non-specific I will tell my doctor all my symptoms and wait too see if he thinks I need further tests. Thanks again for your reply.
  • Posted

Hi,

It sounds like me! I hoard toilet paper...need at least 15 rolls on hand to be able to sleep.

Here in the goid ole USA, we must have a biopsy taken and sent out fir evaluation before we are declared Crohn's.

Oddly enough, I feel better loose. I have much less abdominal distress

If things go too far, I enjoy a meal of mac and cheese.. tightens things up a bit. So does a baked potato or rice.

When it goes wonky, write down everything you ingested over the past 24 hours...do the same thing when you feel really good. Will not be long before these lists tell you exactly what to ingest.

Kind regards

judith

• Posted

Hi, I am experiencing the same symptoms. I have had horrific pains for the last 6 months and have had an mri which came back with a thick wall in my small bowel. However all my symptoms match with crohns but my blood says that there is no inflammation so they think it is IBS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.