My temperature is 39,8 C (103 F) for 5 days, is that normal?

Posted , 3 users are following.

5 days ago I suddenly developed flu symptoms - fever, chills, body aches, dry cough, congested nose, which lasted for a day.

From then every day my temperature climbs up to 39,8 degrees celsius if I don't take any medication. If I take some ibuprofen (I can't take paracetamol because of liver problems) the temperature drops to normal but only until the dose wears off.

My cough and nose congestion is getting better, but the fever still stays.

Is it normal for it to persist that long? When should I get worried? I've never been sick like this before.

p.s. I even got a flu vaccine two months ago.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

first off did you get a flu test done from Dr which is a swab in nasal passage. you need to confirm it's flu because if it is and you catch it within 48 hours you can treat with tamiflu and symptoms will not last as long. usually people who get the flu say I never felt so bad in my life and wind up in the hospital because fevers can and will last for days just like what you are saying. on another note their are many nasty virus that will also give fevers and flu like symptoms. Whenever a fever is over 102 and lasts more then 3 days you must see a Dr asap. If it is flu remember their are so many strains out there and our scientists do the best they can with the vaccine. problem is every year the flu mutates itself into different strains so it's hard to predict which strains will follow each year. what state do you live in? I recommend to you to go to a Dr asap to get a flu swab then hopefully if it is flu it's not to late to treat symptoms. in meantime drink lots of fluid to stay hydrated. flu can dehydrate you very fast when your body is fighting so hard with High temps. Also watch cough that it does not settle in your chest which is pneumonia. go to a clinic or ur Dr asap and keep me posted. Good luck

• Posted

I have confirmed influenza A and my fever, when the medication wears off, is around 103. I am on day 4. Yesterday afternoon, I went to the hospital in a panic. They did a chest xray and bloodwork, and told me that it is normal to have a high fever for several days with the flu. I find it odd, since my toddler daughter seemed to be mostly fever free by day 4. She did develop a fever when she napped and slept at night. However, most of the day she was basically fever free. If the fever is still going high tonight, I may go back into the hospital. I also got the flu shot... which supposedly covers strand A. Did you find out if you had the flu?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.