My therapist seemed pretty good but then

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was assaulted earlier this year and it was horrible, I have bad depression and ptsd from it . A therapist from the victims of crime program was assigned to me and overall it seems like she's pretty good- I have really felt a connection with her and that she has a way of communication similar to mine that helps. As nobody's perfect the one thing I noticed was she is very optimistic- nothing wrong w that unless it clouds your ability to really hear when a patient is in a more critical place.

The past few months I've seen her i was never in a crisis during that time , but there were a couple times I was really struggling and once mentioned to her how I was concerned and she did help me in the meeting but kind of felt a slight feeling that her optimism was giving her a more rosy perspective than what is really going on with me.

In the past I had a therapist who was more attuned to possible signs of impending crisis or warning signs and would come out and ask me if I was feeling safe and made a safety plan with me etc. she was optimistic but not so much so that she was not able or wanting to see signs warning signs 

Anyways so, as I said I never had an actual crisis over the time recently I've been with her. She never actually laid out discussing with me how being assaulted and the trauma of that cab sonetimes result in being at some risk for self harm, and didn't lay out any type of discussion what signs I should be aware of (such as not sleeping well or drastic change in living habits etc) or creating a safety plan with me. I should have thought to ask what her policy is how she proceeds if a patient shows possible signs of going into a crisis.

We just proceeded in therapy meeting weekly often twice weekly and it's been pretty helpful.

Until.... two weeks ago. I had let her know a couple weeks before that about my concern that this time of year coming up might be a problem for me as it's associated with a couple trigger dates of things that are related to the assault. I made a point of giving her that information and she said we could work through it but never sat down with me to talk more in depth about it or to make a safety plan etc.

So then it suddenly happened- worse than I thought it might. I got triggered really bad and hoped I could shake it off in a day or two- didn't happen. I felt unable to leave my house very out of character for me and called and left a voicemail for her to let her know the changes in me and that I was concerned about my level of depression, that it was different because I felt unable to leave my house and majority of the time am in bed etc. and that I was **concerned I am heading into a crisis** and asked her to call me back. The entire day went by from time I left message at 9:30 am until 4 I hadn't heard from her- even tho I had left a voicemail I felt I might be starting to go into a crisis. I finally called again and the person at the front desk transferred me to her and she cheerfully said hi, so how are you doing? ". I was confused because her cheerful lighthearted greeting sounded like she hadn't got my message about a crisis. It turned out she did get the message and said that she is in outpatient setting so she can't just "be on the phone all the time"-- and that she had to do some administrative paperwork before she called me back.

I was shocked. Administrative paper work trumps a patients possible safety?

She was nice sounding, and then offered to talk to me a bit to see if that would help me feel better. It didn't because I felt somewhat betrayed--- I look to her as one does to a doctor for physical care,... her casual response was hugely shocking to me. 

Please if you have any advice I want to get thoughts from others-- up until this crisis happened everything overall seems pretty good. I'm not sure if I should stay with her or not- if I'm not in a crisis she's helpful but it is critical to know if you do have a crisis your therapist will respond with due diligence and in a prompt manner.

On the other hand i have spent time with her and she knows what happened and my issues of how it affected me- having to change to a new therapist is depressing and stressful.

I don't know how can I talk to her about being let down and that I didn't feel safe or cared for when I went into crisis and she had a casual response to it?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Danielle,

My name is Celia and I also have PTSD from being assaulted.  I too have found some imperfections with my therapist - although mine is the opposite problem.  She seems to be pessimistic/negative in times that feel really hopeful. Really frustrating.  But what I'd say is this - don't give up on her.  We're all human - we're not in the business of being perfect.  I can see how when calling her in a time of crisis and not getting the response you were looking for feels like betrayal - its terrifying to be in the darkness of PTSD and feel alone.  I would explain to her next time you see her what you felt and why you did, and have a discussion about it.  I think she'll probably talk to you about what she intends your relationship to be and you can work something out from there.  Since she's not a crisis therapist she may feel like its not her area of expertise??  Not sure.  What I am sure about is that PTSD can cause lots of suicidal thoughts.  I am not in that place anymore (10 months after my trauma and I'm worlds better!)  But I did have some really scary moments over the past year - never hesitate to call a suicide prevention hotline - there you will find on-call, licensed therapists whose job is to help people in crisis.  Definitely faster response time than calling your scheduled therapist.  Hope this helps smile

Celia

• Posted

Please help Celiac if you don't quite gel with your therapist you do what?

• Posted

Hi Danielle I don't know how old you are but I am intrigued by your sad story. Snap! I have spoken on here before I am Sam I am 44 but was assaulted twice years back. The results have been devastated. I have ptsd and depression as you do. It's horrid from what I've read from people on here ptsd stinks. It's scary, frightening and difficult to cope with not a joke I'd ask your therapist or whatever you call her to explain how she makes you feel is making you feel. I think you're brave. Well done for admitting it hurts deeply. Have you tried to ring rape crisis in between appointments if it becomes too much. We have a sexual and violence helpline in this part of the country. You could even try the samaritans, they do help. Good luck. I truly know how you feel, I'm in the same place. X. Talk if it helps I'll listen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.