My thoughts on HRT for anyone unsure of starting

Posted , 5 users are following.

HI, please do not think I am trying to scare monger, just offer a bit of advice for anyone thinking of starting HRT, it is my own experience and others will think quite the opposite.  I have posted on here before that after taking Elleste Duet for 10 months I developed a DVT in upper thigh. I was taken off HRT immediately, this was in December. I have felt more alive and the swelling in my ankles due to HRT has completely gone and I have lost 9lbs as well. Yes, the flushes are back at night which is a real pain, but to be honest since developing the DVT I have heard of so many friends who have family members that had DVT's from HRT and the pill.  Apparently if you are going to get one it will be within the first year, I had only been on it for 10 months.  Both my sisters are on it with no problems.  Just wanted to bring another point of view to anyone not sure.  If anyone is in UK and watched Call the Midwife, it does make you wonder about all the hormone type things we take.  But, I would take them again if I could, if only to sleep at night, but having to take blood thinners for a year is not fun and scary in it's own way.  Have a go if you are not sure, but be wary of DTV's

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi we've spoken before re coming of HRT. 

Because of my swollen lower legs I'm coming off Hrt at the end of the month.

i feel great in myself but have been having a few physical symptoms I didn't have before going on HRT.

i am worried about stopping it particularly my mood. How long before some of your symptoms starting reappearing ? 

Debs 

• Posted

HI Deb, nice to speak again.  I came off December 11th and the sweats in the day started coming back a couple of weeks ago, nowhere near as bad as before, I counted 36 in one day before going on HRT, but now have 3 or 4 per day, if that.  The night ones are the worst, again not as bad as before where I had to sleep on top of bed.  My mood is actualy better as I am more alert and less tired, to be honest I cannot believe the changes the HRT caused in such a short space of time, although to be honest I did not know it was the HRT until I came off.  My ankles and bottom of legs are back to normal, they looked like sausages before especially if I wore socks with trousers and had the deep grooves.  The real benefit was the lack of flushes and being able to sleep. Give it a go and see how it goes. You could always go back on it, I unfortunately do not have that choice which is a shame.  Keep me posted regards Tareena
  • Posted

thats not so good about your health,but like you i get very little sleep and everything else that goes with not being on hrt, its true there is a risk but quality of life is important to me and just now its rubbish, The risk was there with the pill too which i was on from 16 till i had my sons  then again after that till i was 39 with no adverse effect but then the risk was still there but i was willing to take it just like i am now with hrt, not getting enough sleep causes all sorts of problems for your health so there is a risk with everything, when you read the downside of ibruprofen pills you would not even take them
    • Posted

Hi, I totally agree, I would rather sleep, which I am not now I have come off hrt. I really just wanted to mention to anyone new thinking of going on it just to be careful.  Both my sisters have been on it for many years without any problems, which make it even sadder for me that after less than a year I get a DVT, as I would definitely not have come of it unless I had to.  The funny thing was that my swollen legs and tiredness have all disappeared, I did not even realise the two were connected so that is a benefit. I am now stuck on blood thinners for a year and that is another worry, what happens when I come off? I know what you mean about ibuprofen, within 30 minutes of taking them my stomach is burning. Now on thinners I can't so one less side effect to worry about.

• Posted

I take one 100mg aspirin per day as a blood thinner.  I have no  side effects with it.  In fact, it is deemed to have other health benefits.  I have haemochromatosis and my blood was very thick and hard to venesect - that is why I take it.  I have been using oestradiol implants, patches, gels for 27 years - never tablets.
  • Posted

Quote from the current NICE guidelines:

"HRT tablets (but not patches or gels) are linked with a higher risk of developing a blood clot"

If you are worried about blood clots, ask to have HRT as a patch (or gel), rather than a tablet. 

My quality of life deteriorated sharply when I tried to come off HRT - in particular, lack of sleep (due to hot flushes, etc) played havoc with my physical and mental health - my immune system seemed shot and I seemed prey to every bug going!  We're all different though and need to make an informed decision that we can live with.  For the moment at least, mine is to continue with my HRT (eostrogen only) patches.

• Posted

i'm the same just need eostrogen, i was on pills before but would be happy to try patches even if they would give me the minimum dose to see if it will help but so far i've had no luck, do you buy your patches online or are you still getting them from your gp,  i will try to find the page on the current NICE guidelines quoting about HRT tablets not the patches and the higher risk of blood clots      thanks

• Posted

I'm getting them on prescription (see the other thread) - Google for NICE HRT risks and benefits, for all the current guidelines.

• Posted

Will do that thanks for your help will print it out and take it to the GPs to see if that makes any difference 
    • Posted

Hi Maria, I will definitely ask about the patches as the night sweats are so delibilitating, that is one thing I miss about HRT not being able to sleep again, I call it my prime minister syndrome, like Margaret Thatcher I survive on 4-5 hours sleep at best and that is broken.  Glad I posted now, I did not know the patches were different.  Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.