My thoughts on TKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey everyone

Well here is my experience of TKR. Firstly l found out l had OA in both hips in November last year and that they were in such a bad state l needed them both replaced. I had suffered a year of what l though was muscle or tendon damage which was just coming from one leg it got so bad by november last year l was sent for xrays of my hips only this is when l found out they were both gone.

Well long story short l had my 1st hio replaced in december and in february. It was hard going but intant pain releif and my recovery went quite well until l started getting shooting pains coming from one knee. I felt like l was back to square one so was sent for more xrays in july.

This time another shock both knee's were needed replaced due to OA as well. I was so fed up l had now been off my work since November last year and at just turning 43 l though why me. I was a normal active woman l was not have a weight problem i was just unlucky l think.

I had been a member of this forum all the way through my hip replacements and found it a godsend having people who had went through the same or were just about to.

So l joined the knee forum l remember reading a lot of threads and it made me scared as it was saying how much worse the knee was to go through than the hips. I could not comprehend this at the time. I was so fed up with months of recovery from my hips. I remember posting and chico marx replied and confirmed to me how much harder it was gonna be. I felt awful and could not beileive it so it kinda scared me from this forum. But l pulled myself.together and though well you need it done so there is no other option.

He was spot on. I had my 1st knee replacement in august and its totally diffrent. A lot lot harder than my hips but l managed. I am still recovering and am now back at work just 2 days a week and driving. I am still in a lot of pain but a diffrent kind of pain from OA and its getting better. I have stalled on my 2nd knee replacement as its not as sore yet as my other one was and l think 3 major operations in the one year has took its toll on me. But l will get it done when l feel ready. I won't be as scared as l know in the end l will be fine but l do apprciate the honesty l got from this forum. It is hard going and painful but thats a full year l have not slept right and had very little energy. I don't think l will ever be the same person l was before all this happened as l have had to change my life. I am now only going to bbe working part time l have been for an assesment and been registered disabled at the moment. But l am thankful for what l have got and accepted now that this is how it isvl have just got to makecthe most if my life. I can walk and drive and there is people worse of than me. And when the time is rightt l will get my other knee replaced which will be worth it in the long run.

So if you are about to get a tkr then go for it lifes to short to suffer oain forever. It is hard and you will have down days but here l am a year later and l am doing ok for having 3 replacements in a year.

Just though l would share my story. Life could be much worse 😀

Laura x

3 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Best of luck to you Laura!! I had my brutal TKR done 9/14/16 and the recovery process has been very difficult for me. I am doing much better now, I still have a ways to go though, hang in there!
    • Posted

So you are only 6 weeks after TKR. Sounds like you are doing fine.

It takes about a year before you really feel the benefit but well worth it.

I had TKR 4 years ago.  Total succes it is like having my life back.

Sarah 

• Posted

Well done Laura, you've done so well, and hope that continues to be so.

ive had a tkr in August and although Iam through the very worst days, I also 

think life will not always be the same.

even noticed to day cold damp weather really affecting my knee and of course other area I have arthritis.

i have Lupus which affects pain to all the other joints, so the tkr has made things much worse.

life  goes on and Iam always willing to name the best of every thing.

so well done to you, keep at it

• Posted

Hi Alison

Thanks and l am the same with damp cold weather it seems to make me stiffer and were l stay its always damp and cold and now started getting frosty in the mornings. But l am getting there.

Take care

Laura x

• Posted

three ops in one year is a big deal.  Not often do people's bodies fall apart at the same time.  I remember to be thankful there is an option for people like us because it wasn't always that way in history.

• Posted

Laura, your post was spot on sister! I wish I had found this forum before my TNR, I had my surgery Sept.29th, did inpatient rehab 21 days. I found the forum amid tears in rehab, it gave me hope where I was wondering what the h... I had done! The pain is still basically constant N one told me to expect such pain, I was excited about the surgery as i had been dealing with this almost 10 years and went into it with unreasonable expectations, the depression has been horrible as well as the pain, but slowly I have fsith I will get there, this forum has been awesome! Good luck to you lorr 23!
    • Posted

OMG the depression is real! I would just cry for no reason, I really thought I would never be able to walk normal again. My surgery was 9/14 and although I've made progress my doctor gave me 3 more weeks of PT smh.

• Posted

Hi Marshall,

It will be worth it, I promise. Just fast forward another few weeks and you'll be walking pain free....think about it....Pain free....you will get there. Keep the head up, you'll do it

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Marsha........bloody auto text
  • Posted

Wel done Lord. You're a credit to yourself. I had my TKR I'm April all good now. can walk for hours with no pain. Some swelling sometimessage but no pain, yipeeeeee!

In on Tuesday for a discectomy on my neck. Not looking forward to op but looking forward to no pain, Please God. I too grateful for what I have, there are many (millions) of adults and children much worse off, so I always precise what I have. I am lucky, well done to you and good luck always.

God Bless and take care,

Alan

• Posted

Sorry

..Lor not Lord

• Posted

Thanks al l have been called a lot of things but never the Lord. Lol

Good luck with you op on your neck although l am not sure what it is but l hope it works.

Take care

Laura

• Posted

Thanks Laura,

Having a disc removed from my neck and replaced with an implant.

Nerrors but has to be done, pain is bad. Please God it will go OK.

Thanks again,

Take care,

Alan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.