My tinea versicolor is getting worse if I use selsun is this normal?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have tinea versicolor for 3 years but every year it's getting worse. This is the worst year it's everywhere. The doctor prescribed me selsun. I've been using it for 3 days right now and there are more white spots than there was three days ago.

I have it on my arms, neck, (now chest didn't had that, shoulders and upper back. I sweat quite a lot because I exercise every day.

Can selsun make things worse?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You may not have tinea versicole (TV )- you may have a condition called Progressive Macular Hypolmelanosis (google image it). TV is caused a fungus, PMH is caused by the same bacteria that causes acne so its easy to treat. This condition is often misdiagnosed for TV, especially when topical or oral anti fungals don't work to treat it. A family physician won't know about this condition, you will need to see a dermatologist (just print research articles about his condition and take it to your Dr). Easiest was to treat PMH is to apply Clindamycin (prescription antibiotic) on the affected area over an X given time - consult your  healthcare professional about this. I know about this because I was mistreated for TV and it took one second for a dermatologist to look at it and tell me "thats not TV, its PMH. Here use clindamycin". And yes, it has helped me overcome the discoloration. Good luck

• Posted

No, mine used to be only on my back. Please consult your family physician about PMH and see what he or she says. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.