My tinnitus only affects me in the UK.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been to the hospital and had lots of tests and was told my hearing is excellent. My tinnitus started a few days after returning to the UK, having been abroad for many years. The curious thing is that when I leave the UK, it stops every time and when I return it starts again. The consultant can't explain this. My tinnitus is a thudding noise and the only way I can sleep is to stuff cotton wool in my ear.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

That is not Tinnitus, The Noise of Tinnitus is a internal noise NOT external, so stuffin cotton wool into the ears cannot make any diffrence.
  • Posted

Are you sure you don't have hyperacusis? That's an over sensitivity to noise. Mine is like a jangling sound, sometimes thudding and is made worse by travel.
    • Posted

I can only say what the consultant told me. She said that many people think that tinnitus is always characterised by a high pitched whine, but that it can also present as a thudding noise, as in my case.
  • Posted

That would be more on the lines. and maybe the avenue to go down. Its 100% not Tinnitus.
    • Posted

I meant I will tell the consultant who diagnosed me after numerous tests that you dispute her diagnosis. I neve said it's external by the way. The cotton wool simply dulls the thumping that reverberates in my inner ear.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.