my tinnitus was very bareable for 3 years until yesterday when it started killing me. details below.

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi im new here.

in january of 2012 i came down with tinnitus, which was TERRIBLE for 7 months.

by august i got used to it and bothered me a lot less.

in fact, for the last 10 years i can count on my hand how many times i had a bad day with tinnitus. very few.

in fact, even when i heard the noise, i started considering musical and relaxing.

that all changed yesterday in the morning.

i woke up and BOOM its been louder than ever.

i thought i had it all under control, but now i feel like all that went out the window. all the pain and horrible feelings i had the first few months of having it (almost 4 years ago) have suddenly returned.

ive seen many drs and had a number of metheds which worked, but none of that is working now.

furthermore, back in the beginning when it was bad, putting on the radio, music, or fan and it blocked it out.

now, i do all of the above and nothings helping. i still hear the noise over it.

furthermore, back when it was bad i had no problem sleeping.

not only that, when i slept i actaully enjoyed the sound of ringing in my ear (mostly the left one, btw).

last night, not only did i have a hard time falling asleep, but when i tried sleeping on my left side, i had to switch to my right side because when i slept on my left side the ringing was too loud for my left ear

no i didnt expose my ears to any loud noises, but yes im on a ton of medications for acid reflux, axiety, and depressrion.

my question is this:

does it ever happen that 24/7 tinnitus becomes bareable for awhile and then years later becomes unbareable again?

if yes, what do you do about it?

i need help

3 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Most people I know with Tinnitus including myself have expressed how the loudness, timbre, pitch, etc. (other factors) do change in periods of time. 

As you have mentioned a review of your drug regimen should be done.

(T) is a neurological condition, which has so many causation factors - it is most complex. 

I take Xanax for the anxiety of my (T) - small dosages. Xanax to date is the only drug shown in medical clinical trials to lower the volume of (T) in about 2/3 of the patients in the trials. Go to NIH/PubMed and type in Xanax for Tinnitus and read the clinical trials.

My (T) at times is under control, like you have mentioned, and at other times it is very scary. Xanax is in the class of Benzodiazepines, so you must use this drug with caution. 

A build up of anxiety & depression may cause the (T) to ramp up - are your current meds working. If you develop problems sleeping - discuss this with your doctor - you must get adequate sleep or your body goes into shock.

Also, consider a new hearing test and have your doctor visually check your ears for ear wax, scar tissue, fluid build up, infection, etc.  

​I hope this is a temporary situation for you and your (T) calms down.   

• Posted

I do not know what your doctors have suggested or what you have tried; the following are (T) management protocols indicated in (T) medical text and clinical studies.

There is no cure for (T) - there are methods to help keep it harnessed.

Sound Therapy - the concept is that the auditory system needs constant frequency input (gentle, low-medium, wide spectrum, soothing music and natural sounds). These items are pricey - some questionable - do your research.

Maskers (White Noise Band) & Hearing Aids, H.A. if you have serious hearing losss

Sound Cure

Tinnitus Labs - PAXX100

Neuromonics

ZEN Widex HA with natural sounds

*Make your own Sound Therapy device with a high-quality MP3 player - the music needs to be wide spectrum like classical music, modern soft pop (jazz), soft pop like Yanni, world music, sounds of nature, etc. Use ear-buds not headphones. 

Music therapy is to be used for several hours per day - when possible.

Pharma Drugs for (T)

Xanax

Klonopin

Possibly another Benzodiazepine with assistance from your doctor.

In Europe rTNS - repetitious transcranial noise stimulation performed by a Neurologist. [NeuroConn Device from Germany]

In Europe rTMS - repetitious transcranial magnetic stimulation performed by a Neurologist

Psychology

TRT (Proff. Jastrebof Method) & Cognitive Behavioral Therapies. 

Place a loud Water-Fall next to your bed. Maskers are based on the science of water sounds and its effects on the auditory system.

For Research:

NIH / PubMed - National Institute of Health

The International Journal of Tinnitus - Dr. Schulman

Tinnitus Research Initiative

Use Google searches....

*For sleep try natural products (Valerain Root, Melatonin, etc.) if they do not help, discuss the use of Hypnotic Sedatives for sleep or another class of drugs with your doctor. 

• Posted

Hi sol sorry to hear this. As a tinnitus sufferer myself I know how stressing it can actually be.

I think it all comes down to trying to manage it and try to get used to it as best as you can. Also, make sure there are no underlying medical conditions that could be triggering it.

Check out see if there’s anything there that can help you out a little.

All the best!

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.