My To Do list 3 days before Surgery

Posted , 9 users are following.

in case this would be of use to anybody - any comments would be appreciated - I realize I will be bed in pain at the start - just trying to do things while I still have 2 working feet (no wt. bearing on left foot for 2 weeks):

TO DO

Change bedsheets and make beds

Wash coloreds and towels in baths, kitchen

Make LC Cheesecake

Make Chili in crock pot to freeze

Make chicken soup in crock pot to freeze

Stockpile groceries and sundries at store

ON NEARBY LARGE TABLE

Pill packs of daily meds

Nerve cream to put on foot

Hand creams, other cream

Pile of books to read

Ideas for movies on Netflix to stream

Netflix DVDs

Schedule book with calendar

Recliner pockets filled

Hanging organizer filled

Bell for Jim

Clinique, cotton, face cleaner

Wash cloths to wet

Towels

Several nightgowns washed & ready

Slippers ready

Glass of water, toothbrush, toothpaste

Small bowel of water and wet wipes

Cell & home phone

Books to read

Cross stitch projects (have Rubbermaid tub handy)

Laptop computer with mouse

Wooden laptop desk

Writing paper or notebook

Cooler with fresh ice packs & food

Drinking glass with water

Deodorant, perfume, nasal spray, face wipes

Dental floss

Knee walker handy

Two TV tables

Serving tray

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You've probably already covered this, but think about how you're going to elevate your foot, both in bed and using your recliner - could mean using a wedge, buying extra pillows and maybe raising the bottom of the mattress from underneath.  

Sort out a comfy shoe or sandal with an inch or so heel that you can use instead of a slipper once you're into the heel weight-bearing shoe.  A slipper is too flat and will quickly give you backache because of walking unevenly.

if you have a spare bed, make it up just in case Jim needs to use it temporarily.  You may find you're restless at night and he will need his beauty sleep so that he can answer that bell quickly!

Now's the time to sort out any wide-legged extra-comfy trousers, ones that will go over your foot easily.

i hope all goes well.  Judy x

• Posted

Thanks, Judy.  I have the Ortho wedge that someone on here mentioned, although my surgeon said it's okay to sleep without it, as long as the leg is level with the heart and groin...But I'm going to use it...good suggestion about the "good foot" type of shoe - I have a surgical sandal with wedge heel (from when I broke my little toe) that would be perfect for that...yes, I'm making up the guest bed also, and during the day will be stationed in a recliner with a neck pillow, throw blanket and all my "stuff".  Yes, I'm going to get those outfits at the front of my closet or even in my suitcase because I am looking at this like a 2 week trip...vacations are good...this will be painful, etc.  BUT it does break up the routine of every day life and changes perspective, IMO.
  • Posted

Last thing to do - relax! As another poster said, it varies for all of us, but many have found it easier than expected so given that you seem so well prepared, just make sure you are thinking positively about the surgery and its benefits. I had a general anaesthetic and slept a huge amount for the first few days until it was out of my system; a friend suggested audio books as a change. Good luck!
    • Posted

Thank you, Julie.  I wish I was having general, but I'm hoping I will not be aware of anything with the local and "twilight medication".  Audio books are a good idea - thank you.  Yes, I need to stay positive...
  • Posted

Owns another item(s) if I'm not too late

Small presents to give to your husband/friends a week or so during recovery time.

my husband was overwhelmed when I gave him a bottle of his favourite whiskey 10 days after my op, as he had to put up the Christmas decorations by himself. He was very attentive after that.

just a happy touch.

caroline

xx

• Posted

Well, a good friend and her daughter just brought over a "care basket" with a puzzle book, health magazine, fitness journal (we are exercise buddies), a candle, hand sanitizer, kleenex, a great movie on DVD, fingernail polish, neat water/drink bottle, - I gave them a set of 3 kettle bells with a DVD - it's something I wanted them to have and they are SO generous to me (the same people also "rabbit-sit" my pet rabbits when we go away).  I don't have time to buy small thank you presents tonight, though, but that is a thought to run out in the morning when I cannot eat or even drink water...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.