my toddler winded herself help!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

My 2 year old daughter was playing around jumping off the sofa she went to jump off the sofa and sort of fell on her front rather than her feet, it took her breath away and she cried for no longer than a minute and has been fine since, ive checked her belly and there no obvious bruising and it doesnt seem to hurt her when i press on it, am i over reacting? I keep thinking the worst like internal bleeding can anyone help reassure me and has anyone had this happen to there little ones and all be ok?? Thanks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

When my girls were small I tended to work on the concept: if she cried immediately they were probably fine, especially if they got up and carried on playing! All of us have had toddlers fall off the sofa (mental note: it isn't a trampoline!) and they have been fine. If she didn't hit her head, if she wasn't unconscious or dazed there is probably little to worry about. 

If your little girl hits her head, seems dazed or was unconscious then always call 111, if you can't get through to them, call 999 and ask their advice. It is more likely to need something a bit sharper than just falling onto her front to cause internal bleeding - even babies are pretty tough. If she becomes ill, unresponsive, unnaturally sleepy, vomits, then call 999. Most paramedics don't mind seeing small people - beats a drunk any time. 

Don't worry - I have no doubt there will be worse bruises to come!

• Posted

Thanks foryour reply eileen from whati see she didnt hit her head thank god just her belly but she couldnt get her breath back straight away which i think caused her to panic bur once she did she was quite happy doing her own thing and staying off the sofa in future lol, shes in bed now but i will keep checking her thru the night to be on the safe side, is there anything in particular i should look out for when it comes to injuring the abdomen?
    • Posted

Im also an extremely anxious person as u can probs tell and worry an awful lot avout my daughter health and well being and tend to over react iam also currently 25 weeks pregnant and since being pregnant again ive felt very anxious.
    • Posted

Often children falling makes them take a big breath with the shock and then then forget to breathe again! She sounds fine - especially if she just went back to playing. I think you would know if she weren't right. It really is very difficult to hurt your insides unless it is something hitting, squashing or running over you! 

Have you ever thought of doing a first aid course? Do you belong to a mum and toddler's group? Perhaps they could organise a talk from the Red Cross or St Johns about first aid for children. It would leave you feeling more confident and able to do something in an emergency. I'm sure if you look in the internet there may be videos too, or look in a bookshop/the library.

Sleep tight!

• Posted

Ive been to check on her and she is fine i feel alot more relaxed now thank god, i dont go to any mum and toddler goups at the mo but do really want to do a first aid course that will defo help me understand what signs to look out for so i feel more prepared if anything was to happen, thanks for spending your time helping me :-) x
    • Posted

As a suggestion. Why not get yourself a child's thermometer. Then read up as to what the instruction's say and take her temperature with it. This will tell you what her temperature is while she is fit and well, so what she is not well and you do find her temperature raised a little then by doing this and looking at the other symptoms you are able to assess the best course of action.

Also keep a small first aid box. This would have an assortment of plaster's, small bandages, roll of surgical tape and a tube of antiseptic cream. Don't keep any medicines in there incase your child gets in there. But keep everything close to hand.

But if you go to your local pharmacy they will sell first aid boxes with everything that you need, if not they will have all of the various first aid essentials.

• Posted

Hi maisiemarie123

To what you have described,all sounds ok. Three of the main signs to look out for with internal bleeding; is bruising and a slight raised area, also tender to the touch.

children are always getting into scrapes when they are this young. Whenever she does something that you know can hurt her, tell her in a simple way that if she is careful that you can get hurt.

One last thing, you will know when your child is in discomfort. If your child cries after a knock from a slip, trip or fall then it is a good sign and your child will learn by what has happened.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.