My TPO result is >1300 but my doctor said nothing is wrong, is this correct?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, In the beginning of this  year when I had already missed my periods for almost 2.5 months I was very concerned since I has always been regular before that and decided to go to the doctors (definitely not pregnant), My mum had sufferred from graves disease before and had to have her thyroid gland destroyed so she recommended that I get my thyroid levels checked. During this time I also had most of the symptoms of hypothyroid and my mood was very low (I am still going through this at the moment but it is much better). After requesting the tests with the doctor my results didnt raise much alarm and she said my thyroid was just borderline, results were : T4: 12 (range: (10.0 - 20.0) and TSH: 4.6  (0.30 - 4.00) but she put me on 25mg of Levo as I was really having a hard time with my symptoms. I decided to change my doctor since she didnt really seem to know what was going on and I felt like I was the one telling her what I wanted so I decided to go to another doctor who prescribed me antibodies test and told me to come back after my 25mg dose of Levo was finished. But a few weeks into taking the medication, I had an episode where my heart was being squeezed almost to where it made my vision go dark (this only stayed for a few seconds). This scared me and I decided to take the antibodies test and stopped my levo since I felt I might not need the Levo. This is almost a month after I took my first test and I got my results back as :

T4: 14.0, range:  (10.0 - 20.0) , TSH: 3.1 ,range: (0.30 - 4.00), Thyroperoxidase Antibodies > 1300 U/mL , range: (< 60). I went back to the doctor with this result and she told me that this just means that I have chances of getting Hashimotos in the future but my everything is fine and nothing is wrong with me.  She also expressed that she doesnt feel I need the Levo but since my symptoms were feeling better when I was taking the medication I can take it every 2 days so the heart fluttering wont be an issue.  I'm confused with her diagnosis since most of the info I find seems to say that high antibodies mean Hashimoto, she didnt mention that I have hypothyroid either and said my low moods might mean that I'm just depressed. I appreciate any information on this. Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Sorry I forgot to also mention that a few days into starting the Levo, I got my periods so it seemed to have helped with that. I also found some relief with the muscle pain and mood but the only issue that made me stop with the heart flutters. Thank you.
    • Posted

One more thing I should mention is that my neck also feels swollen, the doctor said she couldn't really tell if the gland was swollen since it could just be fat and she has put a request through for a neck scan but we need to wait since it takes a couple of months for the approval to come from the hospital.

• Posted

When my TPO ab was as high as yours 30 years ago my TSH was 65. I went as high as 200mcg and that's when my TPO ab dropped down to less than 10. They are now 21 on 150mcg. Never had fluttering never knew there were any side effects until I read up on it and most side effects sound like undertreatment. But heart fluttering on such a low dose my mean to be cautious. Because on 200mcg I never had fluttering. Also what is your FT3 and FT4. Having antibodies doesnt mean Hashimotos hypothyroidism but.most likely will be in the future. And perhaps a really low dose may lower your antibodies like a higher dose lowered mine.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. It is a relief to know that the antibodies do come down. I am going to continue on the 25 mg and observe how it goes since the heart flutter incident was a one off and I would like for the antibodies to come down. The doctor didn't prescribe the FT3, but the FT4 is  14.0, range:  (10.0 - 20.0). Is the FT3 also necessary ? 

• Posted

The FT3 is very necessary. It'll show how you are converting T4 into the "active" FT3. But T4 isn't inactive it has functions. You do not want T4 too low even if "in range". Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I will be going to an endocrinologist for getting a better read on the results and also request for the T3. I have started implementing changes in my diet as well. Regards. x
  • Posted

PS I've noticed that lots of people are on really low doses and they still have very high antibodies. I can't believe how undermedicated some are. I had to demand higher doses. But I had a much higher TSH than you but some of the undermedicated had a lot higher TSH than you when first dxd. But they.are on such low doses and all their complaints of their meds sounded more like hypothyroidism symptoms. Unbelievable.

• Posted

Hello Vibrant Soul, 

What you’re experiencing is pretty typical for thyroud patients. Try going to an endocrinologist, at least you’ll get a proper diagnosis.

If your antibodies are elevated, you have autoimmune disease.

Read all the side effects of levothyroxin. It is known to worsen autoimmune disease as well as cause autoimmune disease.

The as many of the posts in the thyroid group and the levothyroxin groups as you can.

The key to thyroid disease is to be proactive in order to beat the ticking time clock of thyroid disease.

Traditional “treatment” of thyroid disease is to do nothing and ignore all symptoms until the disease has advanced so far that you’ll never be able to reverse it. 

There are many things you can do on your own to curb thyroid disease and possibly achieve remission.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have considered going to an endocrinologist and will get booking an appointment soon. I am thankful to be a part of a time when so many resources are available on this and I it is good to get the variety of information which has led me in the direction of self care and diet changes as well. I'm hoping to get my antibodies down in the near future. Regards. x

• Posted

Hi VibrantSoul, sounds like you’re on the right track. Keep reading the many past posts on this site. There’s tons of info..

It is possible to get your antibodies down.

• Posted

PS: FT3 with RT3. Also Vit D. levels very important with thyroid disease. Also Vit B12 and serum folate. You want to be on the higher normal range for both these tests. I'm Vit B12 1300 seems really high but what I need to keep in "normal 'free' Vit B12 range" ...MMA test.Read up on Vit B12 and serum folate....too complicated to give a brief rundown. B Vits really important.

• Posted

Hi again. Here are other tests to consider serum iron and serum ferritin. Hypothyroidism can cause low iron and more important low serum ferritin

Supplementing iron can be toxic if you don't need to take it so better to have these tests done. You don't want ferritin to be too high because it can be a marker of inflammation.

• Posted

Hi. The F in FT3 stands for Free. T3 and FT3 are two different tests. You first gave your T4 results then later mentioned you only had your FT4 done. T4 and FT4 are 2 different tests. Don't get them confused. Read up more.

• Posted

Thank you so much this information. I am going for an ultrasound tommorow for the thyroid gland and after this I will request a full thyroid panel with a new doctor. I'm grateful to all the information available and for all the kind people who take the time to reply and assist. Take Care. smile x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.