My triggers vs. your triggers

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone!

I think I know a little more about my triggers. I've had two small/medium boils during the past month. Usually I have a few more during a month's time.

I've been on antibiotics for a month now. For about three weeks I've been nightshade and sugar free. This past week I've reintroduced a little bit of sugar and nightshades.

The first boil appeared immediately after 6-7 hours of walking and swimming in a bikini bottom that caused friction in the area where the butt meets the thigh. It wasn't too bad, and after 3-4 days it was gone.

The second boil appeared on my inner thigh immediately after walking for many hours in a skirt. My thighs touch when I walk and so there was a lot of skin on skin with rubbing and friction (not smart!).

I don't think food triggers my HS as much as friction and clothing. In the past, I have often had flares after wearing tight clothing with big seams. As I mentioned I am on antibiotics now, so maybe they make it seem as though I don't react to food.

Anyway, right now I feel that my main trigger is friction. Maybe this can help some of you, by not wearing tight clothes or walking too far at a time.

What are your triggers? Hope you are well.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Caffeine and sugars are mine.I get the boils a lot in the summer time,on my armpits and inner thighs.and yes if I wear tight clothing I get them.I been drinking alot of water and haven't got any in a few week(knock on wood)

• Posted

Hi! I find that my HS is drastically worse when I'm not able to work out at least once or twice a week. I currently have tendonopathy in my glutes so I'm basically crippled and haven't been able to go to the gym. I have a theory that it's tied to sweat and that we somehow can't expell sweat from our pores in the correct way which is why they become clogged. It's just my theory but I think that sweating really clears out my pores.

I always wear tight clothes though because I find it more comfortable to have fabric on those areas rather than have my skin sticking to itself and the friction from that. I like gym clothes that work away sweat especially. Flowers clothing like skirts kind of backfires like you mentioned because then you have the friction of your own body. I don't know if it causes cysts for me but I just find it uncomfortable, particularly when I already have a cyst.

I have heard that a combination of clindamycin and rifampicin for a few months can be very effective in early stages so I'm going to be asking my dermatologist about it.

• Posted

I can wear tight clothes as long as they're breathable and don't get too soaked with sweat anyway.

• Posted

Do you have access to a dry sauna?  If you are unable to exercise a dry sauna would help you sweat wonders! I don't recommend a moist sauna (steam room) because of the bacterial breeding in those.

• Posted

My period is my trigger. A week before I get my period i start to get new boils and old boils start to get big again.
    • Posted

Yes you are right. I never thought of that but I flare when my period come also.I wonder why?
    • Posted

If I remember correctly, when I first met my dermatologist he said that it was part genetics, part hygiene, and part hormones. I agree that I get more and worse cysts before or during my period.
    • Posted

Many women suffering from H.S. also have PCOS. PCOS is marked by excessive androgen. There's some evidence of a possible link  between androgen excess and H.S. flares...so some folks find relief with anti-androgenic foods and supplements, such as avoidance of dairy (all promote androgens) and supplementation with saw palmetto and/or zinc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.