My TSH is high but no medication dose change

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have had hypothyroidism for about 8 years. My recent TSH is 4.74 but my gp hasn't changed my thyroxine dose as the lab result said it is probably due to poor compliance????? I don't agree with the poor compliance quote. At that level should i ask the gp to increase the dosage . I do have many of the Hypothyroid symptoms at the moment.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

How and when do you take the levothyroxine ? Taking it in the morning before food can help maximise absorption from the gut. Also a number of medications if taken at the same time can reduce the amount of levothyroxine your body absorbs.

Tarun (hospital pharmacist)

• Posted

I take it with breakfast in the mornings and i also take Krill x2

many thanks

• Posted

Food may interfere with the ability of the body to absorb enough of the levothyroxine so you could try taking it beforehand. Things like calcium/magnesium/iron supplements should not be taken at the same time as they can bind to levothyroxine again reducing its absorption, so do keep an eye on the effect of other medicines (prescription or bought).
  • Posted

Ok thank you - Krill is a fish oil and i would prefer to keep taking it . Should i perhaps take it a little later? How come i have not changed how i take thyroxine though and suddenly it's an issue?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.