My turn for the fed up/ranting post! 11wks post funsion.

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I had my left ankle fusion on the 17th May and I'm really getting fed up now! I've had 7 ankle ops in 12yrs and this was my only opinion to get rid of the pain.

I was in a cast for 6wks and now a boot for 6wks. Got my next clinic appointment to see my consultant in 2wks and I may have to wear the hated boot for another 4wks! So that could be 18wks in a cast/boot 😕

Can't really get out and about, I rebelled yesterday and drove my car for 30mins and now I'm shocking amounts of pain...it so wasn't worth it!

Painkillers do not work, been on them for yrs because of the surgeries, stronger slow release morphine ones make me feel out of it! Even the nerve pain meds aren't working. 

Since yesterday I've started getting pain on the front of my foot which was previously numb. I've had that many ankle ops so the whole front of my foot is numb. Now even if anything touches it, like socks or bed covers and it agony. 

Trying to entertain my little ones and dogs in the house is getting hard work too, they are off school so hence that want to run around! And then my poor dog looks at me as if to say when are we going out mum?! 

Sorry for the rant/moan...I really try to keep happy and smiley around my family/children/friends but I'm struggling now! Xx

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So sorry to hear that you are in so much pain.

I suspect that shortly I'm going to be facing a similar situation as I'm waiting to have my failed TAR done four years ago worked on. Failed due to osteolysis and now few revision options available.

Because I dreaded having to cope on my own without normal mobility and the frustrations of crutches I bought an iwalk. This is a clever strap on crutch that takes all the weight off your foot and allows one to walk totally hands free.

For anyone with reasonable balance and not hugely over weight it could be a life changer. Search on Amazon because there are lots of postings and buyer videos. I bought one some months ago and have been getting on well with it...Oh yes I'm 75 going on 76.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

I've never heard of those before Richard, I've had a look on amazon and the prices in the uk aren't that cheap! Wonder what the prices are like in other parts of the world. 

• Posted

You can sell it on eBay when you have finished with it. They are very robust a d should mast a long time.

I bought mine from a friend in the US who had recovered from a TAR and no longer needed it. It's rather nice to know that I'm now using it!

All the best

Richard

• Posted

If you have not read the reports and watched the videos on. Amazon then I think you will find them helpful. Some people find that they cannot manage them. I'm 76 this year and I'm fine on it. I wanted to be mobile hands free inside and out and have walked about half a mile on one occasion outside on a range of surfaces and gone up and down steps.

Good luck Richard

• Posted

Its important to remember that the pain doesnt kill you, you can get through anything......and theres no choice, better to be alive and feeling than dead and without pain. Try varying the pitch and tone of the pain with temperature and skin stimulation, even distract yourself with pain elsewhere, at least you can control that and never give up, it always gets easier.
    • Posted

Dear Steve

I agree with much of your post but constant pain and the frustration of being limited in what one feels able to do, even getting going in the morning can really impact on peoples lives.

Whilst I agree that one should never give up unfortunately for some sadly it does not get easier!

Cheers Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.