My UC has flared up severe.. how long does it take to recover

Posted , 4 users are following.

Had UC in 2012.. been in Remission. May 6th it flared up severly.  16 inches of my colon is inflamated from Rectum up. My GI started me on 40 mg of Prednisone+ 6 - 800 mg Asacol,

1 Uceris  + Mesalmine Annema.. So far very little  improvement..Do I wait one or  two more weeks before considering Humira  . Would appreciate a comment if this is normal recovery time for a flare up . I am 68 years old   .Any thing I eat comes out within in an hour or two. Have lost almost 17 lbs in past three weeks . 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You need to eat a very very bland diet. Be careful of steroids they have permanently damaged my eye sight.
  • Posted

Keep using mesalamine enema but it has major interactions with 37 other drugs, make sure you ain't taking any of those

Put trashcan near bed, Use more than one enema, insert enema lying in bed with couple pillows under hips and towel on bed... this will allow gravity to pull it into you...wait a while after the 1st one till the uneasiness goes away, then use another

After 2nd one, see if you can walk your feet up the wall next to your bed while you are lying in bed, too use gravity even moresmile go to sleep

If.you wake up in morning and don't have to have bowel movement, then do another enema...if you do have to do.movement in the morning, then see if you can get another one in afterwards and keep it in....it's usually hard to keep it in during the day if you are upright, but sometimes, if you wait maybe 30 min to hour in bed, then you can go upright in the day and it won't come out

If you eat red meat,stop

Also eat 2-3 coconut MILK yogurts per day

Prednisone ain't gonna do a thing but drive you nuts!

Stop all fiber, letting your intestines rest a bitsmile hydrate hydrate hydrate....if you like coconut water then use that, it hydrates and is a natural inflammatory!

Peace, I'm 3 years remission

• Posted

Hi Shimyyuh,  

Is it ok to do two Enemas in a day ? What is the nofor past 7 days rmal recovery time for a severe flare up? I have been on Prdnisone for 30 days + 6 asacol every day for 30 days, One Uceris every day for 15 days , Started using Annema    since past 7 days. Do you think it takes 2 to 3 months for any results or do you start seeing improvments sooner? Little confused .. should I ask my G I. to consider Humira next week or wait 2 more weeks .. would appreciate your comments please  

• Posted

Yes you can do 2 enemas per evening. If you don't have to do bowl movement in morning then you can even out another one in and lay down for 30 minutes before walking around

I hope you are using and then going to sleep so they are in overnight

If they help then you should notice symptom improvement just after couple nights of keeping them in

You got mesalamine, right? Not a cortisteroid? Mesalamine does have major interactions with 37 other drugs, you might want to look that up and make sure you aren't taking any of those drugs.

Get your hips in couple stacked pillows so gravity pulls that stuff up inside you

If you have uneasiness after the 1st enema then you can wait 30 min before putting 2nd one in

• Posted

Have they suggested you have to come down on uour steroids?. I have had UC since i was 19 and i am now 55. I have been off and on steroids and each flate up has taken different lengths of time. Sometimes i ended up in ward on iv steroids as they can hive you 60mg a day with that. I am now on infusions and honestly bowel gas never been so good. But my liver test results sre beginning to be a bit iffy
    • Posted

My GI has me on 40 mg of Prednisone,  6 -800mg  ASACOL, , one Uceris  9mg , 4gms of Mesalmine Annema once before bed. Its been 25 days .. but very little improvement . He wants me to continue this for one or two  ore weeks with hope of some improvement. Otherwise he may consider  Humira  which I believe is the ultimate solution. I personally want to avoid Humira if I can since it has some serious side effects. When you mnetioned infusions..  do you mean Humira or something else. My first UC happened in 2012 and got to Remmission in 2 months time. Have been ok since past 6 years and now this is my first flare up. The Doctor says the flare ups usually takes longer .. Am I ok to assume   2 to 3 months or do you think it can take even longer. I am 68  and have lost almost 17 lbs in past 24 days . Would appreciate your comments please ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.