My unsedated upper endoscopy - you can do it

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had an unsedated upper endoscopy today in the US (where people are almost always sedated). Beforehand I was so scared that I cancelled four times, and was terribly preoccupied. But when I finally did it I wanted to kick myself for putting it off. It's very manageable. You can avoid gagging if you don't swallow, and even if you do gag (as I did when I made the mistake of swallowing) it's nothing like being sick or hung over - it's not that uncomfortable and isn't frightening. So don't be concerned that you will just gag uncontrollably - you can totally control what happens, and if you stay calm you will thank yourself for the clearheaded day that follows!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

When the physician inserted the endoscope into your throat did the gag reflex eventually subside or did it persist until the scope was removed? What did it feel like? I am thinking about doing it without sedation and would appreciate knowing what it is llike regarding the gag reflex.

Thank you

• Posted

The gag feeling generally only exists when you try to swallow. The urge to swallow is there the whole time, because it is reflexive to swallow when you feel the endoscope. The endoscope is not painful, but you can feel pressure through the numbing medication. At the end of the day, I knew that swallowing would make me gag, but the gagging wasn't that bad with an empty stomach and a numb throat, so I made the trade off a few times. If I had to do it again, I would do it without sedation, because it is a very short procedure, and because I would have the rest of the day with a clear head. The most important consideration in my mind would be whether or not the physician performing the procedure was comfortable doing it without sedation. If so I would do it without sedation for sure.
    • Posted

Thank you for your experience. I think I will do it without sedation because I don't lose the rest of the day recovering.
  • Posted

Thank you for your candid and reassuring comments.

I will be having this procedure in the near future and plan on an unsedated event.

Perhaps you can comment on the effectiveness of the throat spray and the duration of the probe in your throat.

Regards.

• Posted

Zach,

What was the duration (minutes) of the procedure?

Thank you

John

• Posted

Between two and three minutes. However, they did not take any biopsies during my procedure. I think it can last slightly longer they do, but it is very short.
    • Posted

Thank you Zach for your answer. That makes me feel less anzious. I am confident I can stand two or three minutes without biopsies.
  • Posted

Hello Zach,

Thank you much for your helpful post!  I also live in the US and have been searching for a GI who is willing to perform an endoscopy without sedation. I need to have one done, but I do not wish to be sedated. Would you be willing to send me  any contact information about the clinic where the endoscopy was performed? Thank you kindly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.