My update

Posted , 5 users are following.

So hello to all again. As some of you may know, i underwent a l5 s1 microdiscestomy on the 30th March, sadly only 3 days post op it was obvious that I had a problem and that id reherniated. This was obvious sad times and emotionally very difficult.

I spoke to my surgeons team, who organised another mri scan. It was soon very obvious that I had substantially reprolapsed my disc with nerve root move. I saw my actual surgeon on Monday at 17:30' he advised me that he would be seeing me on Tuesday morning at 7am for another discestomy this time with decompression. There was no time for arguing, he explained the possible consequences and the severity of this surgery.

so imrocked up to Guys in London at 7am as told and met with the surgical team (who are absolutely amazing), my surgeon even kindly left me a bit of my disc in a pot for me to see ha ha. I have enclosed for all wish to see it (not for the faint hearted). All in all a surreal 36 hours, I am sat currently in my ward in my gown in hospital, I had a drip, drain, caffiter and 2 x canulars. The best thing is I didnt have any time to think, he cancelled his surgery list and got me in. He is absolutely amazing, sadly the risk of reherniating again is small but not impossible. Hopefully with a small rehab I will be back to normal in no time approx 10 days, but will take it very slowly. Anyway I wanted to update all, If any of you have questions, please let me know. 

Nick

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nick

Glad to hear you are doing ok now.

I'm just about to go in for my discectomy and fusion at l5 s1... Super nervous but fingers crossed all will be ok.

Keep us posted on your recovery please.

Best of luck and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Elena smile

• Posted

Hi Nick,

Sorry to hear that you have had a traumatic time, and I truly hope it is successful for you this time. 

It sounds as if you have found a good surgeon, may I ask who your surgeon was please??

Kind regards

Gary 

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear of the traumatic time you've had since your initial surgery, Nick.  I really hope this op works and that you will soon be feeling a whole lot better.  Let us know how you get on.  I'll be thinking of you.
  • Posted

Hi nick, 

please give us alol an update! 

Im waiting to see my surgeon and am rather nervous!

• Posted

Hey all,

Hope you are well. I am doing ok actually you have to manage pain so take the morphine if you are given post op and lots of paracetamol. LNR my suggestion would be go for it.

I stayed in for two nights this time which I didnt really like but worth it. The hospital were amazing, Its Mr Lucas at Guys is fantastic. Yesterday was not a good day but today has definitely been a better day. Hopefully have a few more days like that.

Nick

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.