my urethrotomy experience, good and bad parts

Posted , 18 users are following.

hello, i am a 22 year old male, underwent a dilation and urethrotomy yesterday morning at york hospital, thought i'd put my experience on here for others incase you are scouring the internet for info haha. i arrived at the hospital at 7:15 am, was wheeled into the theatre and put to sleep at about 11:30am, woke up about 1-1:30pm was discharged at 8:10 pm.

i think i have had a stricture since birth or from before my earliest memory as i have as far as i can remember, always had a less than average stream which got much worse back in august 2013 and even worse a couple months ago, was down to an average of 1.8ml a second, with many problems being made because of the stricture, such as straining, incontinence, high post-void residual, urine pooling = infections, backflow to kidneys, and frequency and urgency, etc etc

but now, wow, i have never experienced such a strong stream since after the procedure. must be like 25-30ml a second now.

i had a short but severe bulbar stricture apparently, i woke up about 2 hours after being put to sleep, was given oxygen through a mask by a nurse who checked under the blankets and was a bit queezy and quickly covered me over, which made me want to see, but i had no strength as i'd just woken up, i checked later when in the other recovery room only to find the cotten disposable underwear with the pad in pretty much soaked in blood, my entire pubic area with dried blood staining ( took about 20 baby wipes to clean it all off after i was able to sit up ), and my 1st, 2nd and 3rd urinations after being transferred to the recovery room were far more blood than urine, like enough blood in them for it to look like it was just blood and no urine, and the following 5 urinations were still at least half blood, i was in the recovery room for 7 hours as they were short staffed and couldnt get round to discharging people fast enough i think.

i felt ok from the anaesthesia and the valium sedative i asked for pre op at about 3pm, but then for a couple hours i experienced what iv very recently learnt to be called hypovolemic shock, i must of lost around 800-1000ml of blood in the recovery room through what had soaked into the disposable cotten padded underwear and blanket and what i had peed out, i have no idea how much i bled during the op but im guessing alot, but when i tried telling a nurse about the sheer blood loss and that i had gone back to feeling lightheaded, faint, breathless, agitated and stressed, pale skin in the mirror, weak, and my heart was pounding in my chest and had almost doubled in rate, i think they thought i was exaggerating and just said " the bleeding is bound to happen from the op and you're still feeling the anaesthesia"

there are 4 stages of hypovolemic shock, and from what i noticed i matched stage 2 100% and stage 3 about 40%. average male adult has about 5.2 litres of blood, http://www.ambulancetechnicianstudy.co.uk/shock.html#.U3lB6_ldWI8

i do have something called haemophilia in which i bleed more than others, although there are different types and mine isnt the bad one that needs regulating with injections, sometimes i hardly bleed at all, my last blood test a few months ago looked like oil in the needle's vial haha

i rested and kept breathing deeply and managed to come around a bit better, although even now i do anything involving more than a slow walk and my heart is pounding and i feel breathless and a bit dizzy.

the assisstant surgeon who i am still not sure as to whether he himself did the cutting or was an assisstant to the urologist i have been seeing for consultations and diagnosis precedures, came to see me very....very breifly after id been in the recovery room about 5 hours, he said that they had to dilate the opening, did the urethrotomy, had a look into bladder, then sort of scurried away before i could ask any questions, the original consultant urologist who has been dealing with me i didnt see after the morning consultation before the op where he explained it all to me to make sure i was still up for the procedure.

the nursing staff in the morning in ward 27 at york hospital were all very nice and kind, even sloppy, as i was very anxious and nervous. but i can't help but feel as though the staff in the afternoon and eavning in a different section of the hospital were just wanting to get me out the door asap and wern't as bothered about my complaints of blood loss and appropriate signs, i know they were understaffed and behind scheduale but still, someone who has haemophilia (a bleeding condition) complaining of blood loss....surely that should ring alarm bells. but basicly they discharged me as soon as i could walk on my own, i was very happy with the morning staff, but the afternoon / eavning staff made me wonder on work ethics. i am still losing about 10ml of blood after every urination but its bound to bleed still, hasnt had time to heal yet, not sure if the newfound force keeps washing away progress though.

normally after this procedure people get a catheter to wear for 1-7 days to hold the cut open and let it heal around the catheter, and also to stop infection from the urine, i never got a catheter, i have been peeing straight through the cut for the last 30 or so hours, pain is slowly going away, had to buy some painkillers and stool softeners from a local chemist as i didnt get given anything from the hospital. the consultant said he didn't like putting catheters in as they can be painful and cause more damage, since this morning iv had no pain during urination, but a 5 second delay after finishing and it was excruciating for about 20 seconds in the opening because of the dilation needed to make it possible to get the scope in. it brought tears to my eyes, and i am quite a pain tolerant person, once broke a finger and didn't realise until i saw it directly.

to be honest id of prefferred a catheter, although the consultant said they usually keep people in overnight with one in then take it out in the morning, i think with them being so busy they couldn't afford to do so, im not sure.

i was told by the assistant surgeon pre-op that i would have to self dilate to help prevent the stricture coming back, but as i was being discharged i asked about it, and she said there was nothing in the notes about it and that because of that, i didn't need to, i was happy i didn't have to but i'd rather of taken the necessary steps to help prevent recurrence.

another thing was i wasn't told of any activity restrictions such as sports and other activities, bed rest time, etc etc, iv been walking around to try keep myself up and about but i read that people are normally bed bound for 1-2 days

i also had a large area of no sensation in my penis afterwards too for about 15 hours, that has gone away now thankfully, big releif haha

overall, weighing up the good parts and bad parts, i think it was worthwhile, i am dissapointed from the lack of aftercare and communication post-op so i may go private in the future, but hey, a £2000-£3000 procedure for free, can't be too disgruntled, and i know that the problem is gone for at least a while, recurrance rates are about 50-80% after a year, but short bulbar strictures like mine are usually cured from urethrotomy, i hope so, i don't want to be having to suffer the next step up: urethroplasty.

if you are due to have a urethrotomy, im sorry if iv scared you, i think it was worthwhile, i am glad i had it done smile. will be able to do so much more (once iv fully recovered and healed ) now without having to worry

sorry for wall of text

2 likes, 132 replies

132 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Ollie. Sorry to hear of your experience. My special needs 27 year old son has had it done several times. Is due to go in again on the 5 th of Nov to be done again. Does not make it any easier even though done so many times. He is having a lot of trouble urinating and a lot of pain for about 3months now. I am not looking forward to it. He does not realise what is coming so is fine from his side. He is kept in over night and catheter taken out in morning. Last time he had pain for about a month after having it done.
  • Posted

I've been depressed for 2 years. Dr. advised me to getting marry.Posted 13 minutes agoBut I didnt do it yet because of having fear to my sexual life and future sufferings. I hv this problem since my childhood or cant remember when it get started. Dr. did urethrotomy in 2013(dec) and then dialated in june,2015.

Should I get marry or share it with my fiancee.

I am evev thinking to suicide as my society is very consevative!

Pls advise me wt should I do............

• Posted

Hi 1357911,

Sorry to hear about your depression, which can be a heavy burden. Marriage brings its own stresses and strains, and without knowing the precise details of your condition it's hard to know whether the benefits of marriage would overcome the worries you obviously have. What exactly is the problem you've had since childhood? How does it affect your sex life? How would it affect your wife and your married life?

It sounds as if the urethrotomy in 2013 was not lastingly effective. Has the dilation you had in June 2015 been successful?  Or does it look as if you will have to have repeated dilations as some correspondents in this thread have described?

• Posted

what my problem from childhood is slow urination which get noticed at 2013 when it got worst with infection & dribbling. No problem with erection and when i do wank.Bt i hvnt yet done sex with anyone. I dont know the exact reason of my stricture. It is on bubar & 2 in numbers. I has been performing self cathetarization since 2014. 

• Posted

Well first of all none of that sounds like a reason to get married! But none of it sounds like a reason not to. Your sexual function seems to be normal. Your fiancee will have to know about your self-catheterisation sooner or later, and one would hope that she would be as sympathetic and supportive of it as my wife has been. It's not as if it's your fault that you have to, and it won't affect your abilities in any other area of your married life.

Infection can, in my experience, largely be avoided by using antibacterial wipes - I wash my hands and wipe my penis with an antibacterial wipe before every self-catheterisation (3-5 a day) and I've only had one infection in the last 4 months compared to six in the previous 6. But I may not be the best person to advise you about self-catheterisation in other respects - I do it because I am completely unable to urinate normally (so dribbling is not my problem!). If you are worried about being embarassed by dribbling, I can understand that. What difference has the 2015 dilation or the self-catheterisation made to the speed of urination and the dribbling?

• Posted

tnk u a lot.......... after done urethrotomy flow was normal... bt i did dailation bcoz of slow urination... flow is avg now.. & dribbling was only for few days just before urethrotomy in dec, 2013.

now, I am feel tension only because of getting married/sex/having kids.....

• Posted

So your flow is average and you don't dribble - sounds like you have nothing to worry about in married life, except some perfectly natural anxiety about sex, for which sex itself is the only cure! I wish you well in your married life. Without wishing to be too old fashioned about things, you can't beat having a good companion with whom to share life's joys and illnesses.
    • Posted

Great advise colin79913.

Doesn't sound like you have anything to be too disheartened about. If urine is average and no dribbling. Erections are ok then married life will be okay. Your wife to be will need to know about it as Colin says. As long as she knows then there will not be a problem.

Wish you all the best.

• Posted

tnx a lot.....................
  • Posted

Did u have pain before this when u had the structure??

Does anyone with stricture have pain when they urinate or jerk? Or even slightly bleeding at the end of urination or so?

Please let me know your responses

• Posted

Incase of mine, there was burning/itching during urination when suffered with infection that very commen with stricture patients.

But nowadays itching a bit at any time . seems like there is a infection again!! bt never had a bleeding.

• Posted

HI All

I am a patient of the same and have  undergone for urethrotomy in October 2013 and having ISC once a week and have experienced this and that ... Some occasions after ruination I experience few to single drops of reddish urine on meatus without any burning or abnormal pain.....though not always .... Is that a normal thing.....if anybody's can answer....thanks in advance

• Posted

u got married or single?..age?......

I think u should get advice from a doctor....i m also through ISC bt never yet faced any bleeding.

• Posted

Hi Ollie

Your posts have been very helpful and have provided a lot of comfort so thanks for that. I have just had a urethrotomy yesterday afternoon. My surgeon told me it was a small stricture just above the tip of the penis. I left hospital the same day without a catheter. At the moment I have quite a bit of bleeding and pain when passing urine. Any advice?? Also my surgeon has said for now I don't need a catheter for self dilation and possibly may not need?? What is your advice? Shall I insist on the self dilation as I want to try everything to avoid a repeat urethrotomy. This was my first one.

Thanks in advance.

• Posted

Has anyone had Lower compartment syndrome or a blood circulation complicatiom following a uretralplasty? my surgery was 12 hours long with a 5cm stricture/

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.