My UTI experience

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been meaning to post this for awhile now in case it helps someone. So last year I discovered I had a UTI when going to after hours because of the pain in my side being really bad (along with the burning that had gone on for quite awhile). Got that sorted out with antibiotics (can't remember names off the top of my head sorry), however a week after finishing them the burning came back suddenly so I went to the doctor who confirmed UTI and I was put on a different antibiotic. Finishing that course, I still had slight burning a day after. This time it wasn't enough to bother me so I didn't do anything about it but drink cranberry juice. Didn't go away and became more noticeable so I went back to the doctor who thought yeast infection (urine sample didn't show enough to be a UTI) from the antibiotics and gave me some cream. Didn't do anything and then the burning got worse and I started feeling the pain in my side again. Went to after hours who confirmed UTI again so was put on the same antibiotic but given the next one up if it didn't work again. So I finish the course, however this time I try out probiotics (I use Sanderson Gut Restore) and I believe they have been what has kept it away now. Funny how the doctors never mentioned probiotics and when I went to the pharmacy, the lady there was saying how great they are and that she has UTIs too. Not sure if this will help you but just thought I'd share :P 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Also the lady said to just stay on them as they can't do harm, so I still take one everyday.

• Posted

i've started to take probiotics too, now that i'm on my third course of antibiotics. i took two different antibiotics and they didn't work (macrobid and cipro). i'm on keflex now. its too soon to tell, i just finished my 2nd day of taking them, but so far my symptoms have reduced (not completely gone). i'm taking probiotics too and i've noticed that it is helping. so thanks for the tip!

• Posted

It does make you wonder about the medical profession doesn't it?!  I can remember asking a doc would the antibiotic he'd just given me for a UTI mean I'll get thrush next week.  This was 45 years ago but I knew it always happened.  He gave me a death-stare and said not to be so foolish.  Sure enough I was back the following week with thrush and he said there was no way of predicting that this would happen (but I did predict it!). 

I can forgive them them for not knowing how antibiotics work in those days but this is 2018 so it's absolutely ridiculous that probiotics are not mandatory to take with any antibiotic.  We knew 45 years ago that they kill of ALL the bugs, not just the bad guys.

A study from about 3 years ago compared how long the gut took to recover after 4 different antibiotics (Penicillin, Cephalexin, Cipro and one other).  It involved a lot of people taking pills for 2 weeks (I think) and presenting their poo for a year.  You may be alarmed to hear that the Cipro people still had issues with their gut microbiota (good bugs) when the year was up - but that was when the study ended. The other ABs affected the gut for varying lengths of time but Cipro was by far the outright winner.

Cipro also comes with many other problems and I strongly suggest that, since you've already taken a course of it, you never take it (or any other FluoroQuinolone) again.  Check out the FQ discussions on this site for more information.

Thank you very much for posting about how important probiotics are - I hope the doctors are learning!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.