My vertigo, and how I manage it

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

New here, and I wanted to recount my story somewhere, and also be able to list what has helped me cope. So that maybe someone else can benefit from my trial and errors. 

This all started a couple years ago for me. Randomly maybe once every couple months or so I would get this violent feeling of falling through the floor. Or being pulled to the floor. I would feel dizzy for a minute and then fine. 

It was a little concerning but I was on Paxil at the time, and figured it was maybe just a side effect to that medication or something. 

fast forward to March of last year. I got up off the couch from watching a movie. And felt like I had the drunken spins! Balance was off, and everything was moving. I sat back down and laid still for about 45 minutes and the feeling went away. I was completely fine. So ignored it.

Then a month later, my whole life changed. I was awoken from a dead sleep. Due to the feeling of spinning, rocking, swaying. It was nearly unbearable. I felt like my whole house had been cast out to sea in a storm. I would turn my head, and feel like my head would just keep rolling forever. 

I went into the bathroom, not sure what to do. And began to throw up. luckily not much was in my stomach as this was the early hours of the morning. I sat in my room, on a chair for a little while. Hoping it would pass. 

No matter what I did the world spun, I decided to go lay in the bath. After throwing up again, just from the feeling of walking from my room the bathroom. I finally laid down in the hot water. and just stared at a fixed spot on the wall. 

After what felt like forever, I finally felt I could get up and move to the living room without throwing up. And laid on the couch for a few hours, unable to close my eyes and sleep as that felt worse! Later that day, I ended up going to the ER. They did some blood tests and whatnot, said I have BPPV and should just go away.

Here I am a year later. To keep this from being a novel, I will say, to sum it up that it did not just go away. And has not gone away. I have not had another night like the one in April last year. But I have never felt the same. Some days are better than others. My usual symptoms are…A feeling of floating, or sinking. Walls will move and sway. I will feel like I am moving too fast. Or like the world is swaying and spinning. Almost every day, I feel this to some extent.  I saw many doctors. Had MRI done and chiropractic. I tried many medications. 

So the point of this post....What actually helped me? 

Meclizine.- To start. You can get it over the counter. It helped with nausea. But not a whole lot with the dizziness. I tried the prescription anti nausea pills. But they give me headaches if taken too much. 

Sea sickness bands.- Huge help. And  I love that it is not a pill! Uses pressure points in your write to control dizziness and nausea. 

Peppermint essential oil- This is the biggest thing that helps the actual dizziness its self. I rub it behind my ears, and down my neck. 

Zoloft- I have social anxiety. The idea of being hit with vertigo at work or in a store or wherever. And throwing up uncontrollable was unbearable. I almost could not function. And in turn this anxiety made me even more dizzy. My life has improved about 80% since going on an SSRI. Talk to your doctor about this, might be worth it!

Eating better- Low Salt, no carbonated drinks. No caffeine. And overall avoiding foods that make me feel unwell. 

exercise when able- The more active I am, the better I feel overall. I go for brisk walks personally. Getting the blood moving can help clear my head. 

I was officially diagnosed yesterday. With Endolymphatic High drops. I pray it does not turn into full Meniere’s. But it feels good to have an answer. I hope this article helps someone out there. These things are the only thing that got me by. 

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks for the information.    I have had similiar episodes to you but a lot less debilitating thank goodness.   I hope I stay as I am and do not get worse.   I have had the complete dizziness can't walk episodes and like you fearful when out but I was put on an anxiety tablet and that gives me confidence going out.  And I try not to think about it.   I had a small episode at the hairdresser when putting my head on basin and up again, but I was ok thank goodness.   I will try the things you have listed everything is worth trying.   I hope you improve and thanks for the info.

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words! I pray your symptoms do not escalate as well. 

I have read that axiety medications can help a lot of people with vertigo and the conditions that can go along with it. It makes total sense to me, that people would be scared and fearful. 

When you have an episode out of no where that rocks your world so hard...on top of it being so difficult to get answeres as to why it happened. It is scary as heck! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.