My vocal is down for 20 days. Is it related to Thyroxine dose

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am taking Thyroxine tablet for 25 days and my vocal is down from 20 days. Initially I thought it happened due to Speaking loudly and will be ok by time. 

But since there is no improvement of the condition, I am just worried that it may be the side effect of the dose. 

When I appointed the doctor 1 month ago, after checking all the test reports, he said that I have a guiter and it needs a surgery but not so serious. I can do it after 4/5 years if I don't want to do it now and he prescribed me Thyroxine 50 mg. 

I don't think it's possible that within 10-15 days the guiter went so tough that my vocal will go down. 

Do anyone have any idea? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sumonayeasmin, the synthetic and other prescription thyroid medications are not quite the same as our human thyroxin, so they can result in an initial or long lived immune response. This could cause additional inflammation to your thyroid. Some people find this goes away after a while, some don't. Please read the insert in your medication about side effects, or go to the online manufacturer's site.  You will see that one side effect if thyroid medication is thyroid disease.

There are many posts here on thyroid health, do read through them, as many of us have struggled for years and have researched methods and lifestyle changes for preventative treatment.

Please understand that the traditional treatment of thyroid disease is to do nothing until your thyroid is so bad that surgery is the only alternative. If you read through the posts here, you'll see that health following thyroid surgery is not optimal. So you'll want to look into dietary and supplement changes to help curb the progression of the disease. Many folks here have had success with curbing the disease, and even remission. It's a lot of work, but worth the effort to save your health, as thyroid disease is VERY serious and affects every aspect and function of your body.

• Posted

I can't imagine your goiter turning a tough texture that quick either..  I wouldn't jump into surgery that quick.  You should definitely give it some time and get a second opinion to make sure it is your goiter that is actually affecting your vocals. Most of us have goiter's also, and I know, for myself.. never had problems with my vocals, hopefully we'll hear from other's.  The only thing I was ever bothered with, was wearing tight cloths around my neck.  But, everyone has different sized, shaped goiters.  They should be able to tell if it is affecting your vocals from an ultrasound.

• Posted

I agree that it won't cause increased goiter growth so quickly. However, because I also sing, I've noticed a huge difference in vocal quality over the years, corresponding to thyroid health. While the goiter is typically slow growth, you also can have a huge variation in inflammation and fluid in the general area that can cause a whole bunch of problems.

I did find for myself that while on the synthetic levothyroxin, I tended to get a lot of inflammation. Also, my thyroid nodules grew (a lot) while on the levothyroxin. After stopping the levo, my thyroid cyst seems a lot more stable and has stopped growing. The thyroid inflammatory flairs, are less frequent and mildler now that I'm off the levo.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.