My voice is gone, and throat feels swollen

Posted , 7 users are following.

i don't have a sore throat in the usual sense, but my voice is more hoarse than usual, and my throat feels like the glands are swollen.  Is this yet another pain in the throat associated with GERD.  Not ill,  no fever.  Still having probs with lump in throat and mucus.  Endoscopy in a few weeks, but now the wait seems like forever.  Can't believe so many on this site saying docs can't give relief.  Going to try giving up milk and sugars.  When I'm stressed I tend to go for sugars.  The symptoms alone cause stress, don't you agree?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Have you tried elevating the head of your bed? My wife had the same symptoms you describe, and sleeping with an elevated bed helped a lot.

• Posted

There are many myths propagated about acidity and alkalinity of foods which is actually quite irrelevant.

It all boils down to what you individual's tolerate, ie triggers.

Imagine pouring lemon juice on you hand: it's acid but will just make your hand feel wet. Now imaging pouring concentrated hydrochloric acid on your hand: its acidity would be sufficient to cause permanent scaring. That's what you have in your stomach.

Whatever foods we eat, be they acid or alkaline, will have no more effect on the stomach's acidity than pouring a kettle of hot water in the ocean.

From one of the holistic medicine sites dispelling the alkaline diet myth, "As with any sensible, nutrient-dense diet, an “alkaline” diet discourages eating processed foods and refined sugars. It also encourages eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and staying hydrated. That all sounds perfectly fine, and for folks in need of a more cleansing diet due to disease or obesity – a lean toward greens and other veggies may a smart move."

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.