My ways of coping put a frown on my practitioner

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had trigeminal neuralgia with intense itching for about four weeks.    I use Sensodyne toothpaste and Anbesol (which contains Benzocaine)    My doctor does not like this but is not able to give a reason except that my choice of meds is not meant for your face.    I like to know why they can't be used for itching.  I have noticed that these give immediate relief where things like Benadryl cream and Oatmeal cream work less.   I hope someone here  can give more details on why these might not be good.  

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello There, Unless you have a skin condition as well as T.N. I really can't understand the problem you are having. I've lots of experience with T.N but have never heard of itching as being part of the problem. T.N. is usually triggered by touch or facial movement yet you are able to clean your teeth and use cream on your face both of which involve touch. I can do neither without risking a pain attack. and I think this will apply to most of us who suffer T.N. I'm certain that what you are saying is true in your case, but would be interested to find if anyone else has the same symptoms. Good luck and I hope you find an answer

• Posted

I found this very useful thank you so much turns out I get stressed and get shingles on my head with the TN a lot x 💗

• Posted

I have yuge problems with severe itchiness on my head. Drives me bonkers. Can't get it to stop. Maybe I'll give your method a try.

• Posted

the "doctors" here don't give a damn about my symptoms - the fact i have tn, etc. I don't exist.

• Posted

What kind of a place do you get medical care that the doctors don't care about your symptoms?   

It was suggested to me by one doctor that I see a neurologist.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.