my wife has severe fibromyalgia she has taken amitriptyl...

Posted , 4 users are following.

my wife has severe fibromyalgia she has taken amitriptyline for years reduing her dose from 6 x 25mg at night to 2x 25mg at night with tegretal she could not cope without it and has no problems taking it what so ever.:lol:

[i:66c5abb6c0]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:66c5abb6c0]

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes, it's very good for fibromyalgic pain, often associated with M.E.

Essential.

• Posted

I was prescibed Amitripylene 10mg for nerve pain about three years ago and have been taking on/off (mainly off!) ever since. Strangely the pain I experience occurs upon waking and can only be descibed as a piercing stabbing pain which is felt in the left eye, the medical profession tell me the pain is from a nerve behind the eye and is nothing to do with the eye itself, although they are not clear what causes it. Recently I was told by my doc that I will probably be on this drug for the rest of my life which worries me no end :cry: . It does make me feel sleepy and I do experience a burning sensation in my throat (which does not seem to be a common side effect listed?).I also feel irritable. I have to weigh up whether I can continue to take this drug (which I am not comfortable with) or suffer the most intense pain I have ever experienced in my life - child birth was a breeze compared! :lol: the pain used to last about 5 mins then subside..but now lasts longer. I certainly would be interested if anyone out there who has/does suffer with the same problem and is taking this drug.
  • Posted

My hospitial consultant has asked my GP to put me on 10mg of Amitriptyline at night for a nerve problem in my hand as nothng else seems to work. I don't know too take it or not, if its going to knock all the pain out then fantastic! but can I do the side effects! Interesting comments, thank you
  • Posted

i take Amitriptyline for my back problem 50mg it made me feel drowsy to start with but i'm fine now gp say's even my dose isnt very high it's normally used as an antideppresant but supposed to help with nerve problems ie: back neck ect.
  • Posted

I've kept my computer on and am probably going to upadte a bit irrigualy before I post this.

Now before people say somethng I dont judge this med for everone else. Some of you may find it great others may find it terible i'm putting my experiances.

This was given to me to treat nerve pain after an operation on my right eyesocket to change the implant from an old magnetic one to a Coral ball. I got my prosthetic eye a cople of months after sergery and had constant pain before and after getting it like ether sandpaper swelling beind the eye or like its being hit with a hammer.

I'm on the same dose my mother was on and she was fine but she hs ehough waight to deal with it. Same with my dad. I'm underwaight and some things have more of an effect on me because of that.

I had my first dose day before yesterday and it didnt make me dopy at all but yesterday I felt aufal I could bearly move I felt so heavy. I had trouble breathing as my lungs felt waighted down. I had a stinking headake. I did actly see some odd things as if I was just unable to be properly awake though I felt awake and was movieng.

Another dose at night and now I have all those symptoms but worse and my nerve endings felt stripped down. I'm in alot of pain in my head and everywhere my eyesocket felt like it was burning again which I havent had for two years just about as it was just after my operation. I'm checking my eye for bleeding constantly because it feels almost like its cut. I didnt know I had bad knees till now and now I know because thay hurt. I feel like I cant be botherd to eat which is not good and realy quite dangrous for me.

I'm so sore right now that i'm thinking of asking my dad to nock me out. I'm to afraid to take any other pills even normal headake pills incase the side effets are worsend. Chewing hurts. I need to eat to take headake pills. I cant eat so no headake pills.

I feel like i'm in a constant dream as things just dont seem right like the feel of the keys on my keyboard or the color of the walls. Those two things I need. I cant see well out of the eye I still have. I need the little sight I still have to be useful not like this.

Things I used to use for destractions I cant use anymore. Everything just seems so distant. Its like being locked in my own head with the only company I have is pain.

The doc can say what she likes i'm not keeping up with this. I'm in to much pain to go though another day of this. I kind of felt pressured to take the stuff as she was quite offended when I said i'd check the medication and what it could do. I was arleady a little freaked out because it listed two usees in the leaflet and nether were anything to do with pain.

----

Right now its time for me to go to sleep soon and should be time for my pill. I'm not takeing it. I feel like the pain I had last night is just kind of in fog and it wasnt al that bad. My dad wanted to send me to the emergancy room so I dont beleve myself here. I feel like i'm though the fog enough to look back on it rather than be looking though it though its not gone completely. Also some part of my brain is still yelling at me to stay awake. I cant sleep with the stuff and cant sleep without the stuff till I collapse from exustion. The feeling of my nerve endings being burned off is easeing to the point i'm not getting knee problems now just the ocational neck twinge and feeling of water on my face.

-------

The morning after no meds and I dont feel as heavy but still quite weard. Its just my legs that are heavy and my coodantations gone totaly and uttely. I'm walking around like i'm still dreaming and I keep wacking things but i'm breatheing better and the pains lessend to a managable level.

I'll post this now because I dont think theres much else that can be said.

Never again i'm not takeing that stuff ever again. I dont mind anyone else takeing it it it helps you but well this can happen so here it is you know now.

• Posted

I have just been prescribed 10mg for pain relife, I have been suffering from Epididymitis and most of the pain killers I have taken haven't touched the pain, each day is different, from mild to down right painful.

My Doctor prescribed Amitriptyline as he said it would help in dulling the pain as it acts to block pain recievers in the brain, have to say it works for me. I take 1 a day, at night, because of the Drowsiness but apart from that I find it wonderful to be pain free

• Posted

Both my wife and I are on Ami for nerve pain relief. I am also on Tramadol for the pain (Neck/Lower Back). My wife uses it for nerve damage in her lower back.

I struggle terribly with it if I am honest I am now on half dose 10mg to try but this stuff knocks me out! It may be ok if you are off work but for me I cannot function, think or do anything on it. I struggle to do the most basic things without thinking hard about it.

My wife suffers from terrible burning pain as a result of her nerve damage. SHe thought it was an infection for months but swabs proved otherwise until a switched on consultant realised what the problem reallly was. Although it does make my wife feel dog tired, and hats off to her for persisting, Ami has changed her life for the better.

• Posted

hello there, Ive also used Ami, for nerve pain. I have back and leg pains, do to an injury (prolapsed disc. Pinching a nerve) And basically I get real bad sharp pains down my leg to the foot at night. My doctor perscribed me Ami, 10mg to 30mg, which I took 30mg (three 10mg) at night and really helped. I slept like a Log!! But right now im not taking it becuase my back pain is real bad durning the day I started a new medication and it makes me real drowsy, so I dont need Ami and the medication is extended release, meaning it last 24 hrs. I did get side affects from Ami, but it was becuase of some other medications I was one at that time.

But on the other hand, your side affect does seem a bit off and isnt listed for ami side affects. I hope its been cleared up , becuase side affects are a real pain in the Butt :?

best wishes,

BrittanyB

• Posted

I have taken ami recreationaly and I only take it when I really want to sleep. As for side affects sometimes my vision gets blurry and My thought process slows down.
  • Posted

I have been taking amitriptyline for a while now only 25 mg, for pain down my leg, may ask to up the dose as it is still there but not as severe. It also helps me sleep which is a godsend as I had endless sleepless nights.
  • Posted

I have been on amitriptyline for about 6 months because of peripheral nerve pain. It makes me sleep most nights which is good but there is a downside. I have put on a lot of weight, particularly on my legs, since I have been taking it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.