My wife is newly diagnosed with A-fib and hyperthyroidism how to cope with so many symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been dealing with different bouts of symptoms to say the least for the last several months just let me know what I should do to encourage my spouse. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had so many symptoms, which I ignored and put down to a number of things that were happening at that time. It was a relief to have a diagnosis of hyperthyroidism and Graves disease because I now know what had caused the weight loss, swollen legs, sleepless nights, palpitations, anxiety, tremors, hair loss, weakness and fatigue.... That was in May this year and nearly five months on I feel so much better than I have for so long and all of the symptoms have disappeared. I wish that i had gone to see my doctor sooner as I now feel so well. I am on 40mg of Carbimazole along with 125mg of Levothyroxine as I am now on block and replace therapy. Please hang on in there, things so get better.

Best wishes,

Clare

• Posted

I think while both conditions affect each other, they are separate medical issues and will require appropriate treatment for each condition.  I have sent you a link about treatments for afib as we are not allowed to post links to this Board.  So once you read this, she should take this up with her treating physician.  As far as hyperthyroidism is concerned, I found for myself with Graves Disease that I was deficient in many supplements and when I added these in along with my meds that my disease was helped to go into remission.  Vitamin D is crucial to good thyroid functioning.  I would get this level tested and if deficient take it in supplemental form.  I prefer it in gel caps rather than pill form.  I was also deficient in Magnesium and added that.  I was also deficient in Total Carnitine and Free Carnitine and got tested for these and was deficient so I added those. However, in your wife's case, she should get tested for them but if she is deficient, ask her doc before she takes this supplement.  I have read that Regular Carnitine is good for the heart but I don't know how it affects people with heart disease so she needs to explore that further with her doc along with the treatments for her atrial fib.

• Posted

I should add that I learned from this Board that most patients with hyperthyroidism are deficient in vitamins (especially vitamin D), minerals and amino acids as these are lost from their bodies when they are running byper.  I don't think the medical profession is aware of these and that treatment can be improved when this is confirmed by testing and replacement.  I found out quite by accident I was deficient in Vitamin D when I volunteered as a normal control for a research project on another condition and it was found then.  The other ones when I learned about their benefit to thyroid patients, I asked my docs to test me because I wanted to confirm my deficiency.  I just didn't want to take these supplements without knowing my levels first.

• Posted

I started feeling a little off in March. My blood work showed me at .01 I was referred to an Endocrinologist. I finally got an appointment in June where he drew blood. I explained my heart palpitations, my body aches, and limited use of one arm. I was sent to get a bone density test, and I had anappt this last Tuesday. I have been on here for awhile, and figured I had Graves’ disease. I was finally diagnosed with it, and osteopenia of my bones. I just started my Methimazole on Tuesday. Of course I do not feel better yet, but my attitude is better just by knowing what’s wrong and that something will be better in time.

There are people here who have supported me, and that helped too! Linda and Clare were two who supported me, and that means a lot when you are going through this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.