My worst fears have happened

Posted , 3 users are following.

So i used these boards so much about 5 years ago & they were such a massive help, I'm hoping you can all help me again. I was diagnosed with anxiety at that time, eventually went onto 10mg Citalopram then up to 20mg. Alongside CBT they helped me hugely. After 3 years i successfully weaned myself off completely and life was wonderful. But here I am again, horrific anxiety back out of nowhere. My GP has prescribed 2mg Diazepam to take the edge off & I'm starting on 10mg Citalopram also as well as arranging counselling. Has anyone else been in this position? I feel like my worst nightmare has been realised - I genuinely thought I had put this behind me and its back with a vengeance. I would really, really appreciate some kind words

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

really sorry to hear kirsty that your anxiety has come back. many of us are or have been in your position yes, as in, we had some anxiety or depression in the past, and then we treated it and got better, so we came off any meds we were taking, and then after some time we found ourselves back with issues of anxiety or depression again (for example if a stressful life event happened).

the main thing now is at least you are taking steps to deal with this situation which is great. some people just try to hide their problems and struggle on but its so much better to look at what help is available for these issues and find what works for you. hopefully you wont have to wait too long for relief, wishing you luck

• Edited

Dude give yourself a break. I have recently come off 6 months of 10mg Citalopram because my health anxiety got so bad during lock down it was in danger of torpedoing my marriage. We are in a global pandemic with constant change, be it around working conditions, childcare, the virus mutating etc etc. For those of us with anxiety this is a insanely tough burden to carry on top of our normal nonsense. I am having withdrawal symptoms with burning hands and legs and desperately trying to convince myself its just the medication. It would be an absolute miracle if you managed to get through lock down without your anxiety returning. Just keep reminding yourself that these are not normal times and the anxiety is caused by the pandemic. You will get through this. The 10mg helped me out of a hole and saved my marriage, I didn't really have any issues with starting it but definitely consult your doctor and advice when coming off as it can be tough for some people. Good luck! You got this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.