My12 year old has been suffering with pain around the belly button 9 weeks after appendix lapar

Posted , 2 users are following.

9 weeks after an appendix op pain around the belly button area , not been able to return to school because of the pain being quite severe , can only lay on her back in bed and cannot sit at the table eating dinner because of this pain ! Had ultra scans and mri bloods and no signs of infection or problems , Doctors surgeons cannot see what is causing this pain ? Possible fatty tissue caught in the stitches but they have no idea what is causing this , skin is sensitive to touch and any clothing on skin is in comfortable , they haven’t heard of this in any other case 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Angela, Rebecca here... I too am appendectomy post op... but my surgery was the 20th of February... it's been 3 weeks and I too am experiencing the same type of pain. I'm on the highest dosage allowed for Norco, yet it barely touches the pain. I also have traveling pain starting in the belly button area, hitting straight through to my spine, down my spine to my left hip and down my leg. Upon telling my primary care Dr, she reassured me the pain was extremely normal as there apparently is some sort of nerve/ nerves near where the appendix is removed that is disturbed, therefore causing this type of pain... even the sensitive skin as well... I googled it after my visit and found it could last up to a year. I can not imagine going through this another week... being I know what your dear daughter is going through, my heart breaks for her, and you as well 😢.

I would however keep my eyes open to signs similar to appendicitis pain (especially low- grade fever and higher!!!), as , in case you weren't informed, there is a rare disorder that can occur called "stump appendicitis"... it is JUST as dangerous as appendicitis and needs to be caught early on to avoid complications. If you don't know what the appendicitis stump is, you can Google it... Google explains this whole ordeal way better than i can!

I'm so sorry she is going through this. I honestly didn't have the extreme pain from appendicitis, as i had the surgery partially as an elective surgery... even though it was necessary! I had what is called an Appendicolith in my appendix.. prob 60% of individuals with appendicitis have this and are not diagnosed with it. I was lucky i had mine out when i did, as my surgeon informed me my appendix was extremely "thick" with a large amount of lesions embedded on it's surface. I ran a low- grade fever off and on for a few months with mild pain in my lower right and left sides, as well as around the belly button.

I hope this info helps you understand more why she is going through this... I hope and pray she gets better quick... maybe home- school in the meantime? Horizons is a great program I used for my daughter's for a couple years when needed. My youngest daughter went on to regular public high school later and graduated with honors, also testing out of all college math and English courses... I wish you and her the best! <3. If you have any questions, feel free to reply.. I'm not a Dr out nurse, but i do read a lot of medical info & my 21 year old studies medical classes in college... she may be of further help than me.

• Posted

Btw... sitting up only makes my pain worse... like your daughter, laying on my back is the most relieving. Question.. how are her bowel movements? Constipation can irritate the pain 10-fold 😢... I take Mira-lax every couple days which is a godsend!! Not sure what is safe to give a 12 yr old though

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.