Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (M.E.) caused by childhood scarlet fever?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was diagnosed with M.E. officially in 2005 and now have very severe M.E. The doctors were unsure when I contracted it as I have had episodes of severe illness since I was a child. I was told by my mother that I'd had scarlet fever twice as a young child. Could it be possible that they were the trigger that started my M.E.? By the way, CFS is no longer recognised so please update your groups or at least add Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (M.E.) thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

When did you start having the ME symptoms? By that, I mean the post-exertional fatigue and general debilitating fatigue? What was going on in your life when they first appeared? Did you have a virus? Any kind of physical trauma? An infection? Stress? These are some of the things I've seen posted as associated with onset. 
  • Posted

From what I can remember I was off school a lot, not just because of tiredness but laid up in bed with exhaustion. It was when I started work the real problems started. I loved working and although I did admin/secretarial work I would give 110% but would burn out quickly, be off work a few days and it would cycle again. I would also get terrible muscle pain, sensitivity to noise and light, insomnia (and non-refreshable sleep) and unrelenting exhaustion. I would get warnings from work for the amount of sick leave I had to take, which was mortifying. I would push through the tiredness but end up worse. 

I I had mumps, scarlet fever x 2 , chicken pox and measles as a child. I had glandular fever when I was 13, appendicitis at 18, shingles on my face at 19, severe post-natal depression at 26 (requiring hospitalisation) and four surgical procedures (gall bladder removal, appendicitis, bowel surgery and IVF egg removal). Then in 2005 I was referred to the M.E. Clinic at Frenchay Hospital, Bristol where I had tests that confirmed I had M.E. The doctors said they thought I'd had M.E. at least 15 years prior to this and that is why my condition is so severe now.

Thanks.

• Posted

Boy, you've sure had to deal with a lot of stuff. The constant assault on your body with all these physical problems may have contributed to the ME, but who knows? I'm dealing with severe ME without having had any of those problems. Big mystery.
  • Posted

It is more likely that it would be caused by your situation just before contracting the illness.  Stress or trauma could all trigger this.

Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.