mymectomy

Posted , 6 users are following.

please has anyone had this surgery to remove fibroids recently and what were the side effects and the scars is it large and how was it post op in terms of recovery .Because my gynacologist has just told me that is my best treatment option as i have 4 fibroid. i wanted the UFE but she said it was too risky especially if u want more children.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I had this surgery a few years ago and i was terrified and nervous before that.

But i can tell you its not as bad as you think.. other than abit of pain for the first 1-2 weeks i am back to almost normal afterwards.

I think the key is be prepared, get support from people around you and get enough rest.

The tricky bit is to get in and out of bed where you need to use your arms to push yourself up from the bed and at the same time put your legs down to avoid straining the scar.

The stiches is a one straight line and its about.. 10 cm i guess? The doctor will give you some gel to reduce the scar (mine was dermatix). The scar is still there but not as bad as i thought and its not visible with normal clothing anyway..

So dont worry and you ll feel better afterwards especially if you currenlty feeling some side effects of having fibroids..

• Posted

Thank you for your response of how it went for you. I am looking at getting an open myomectomy and it sounds like the best options when you find a skilled doctor. 
    • Posted

thank you for your kind response am getting reassured to do it now cause i was very nervous about it especially as i have never had a surgery before but reading your response is calming. thank you once again.
    • Posted

yes i think is what the doctors go for especially if you want more children.
  • Posted

Hello Jay59548,

I am a living witness of such. There is nothing to fear about. I did mind in 2015 November and I didn't even know when I was operated. The last things I saw before the surgery was when i was given the anesthetic injection in my right hand. And after that I slept off like a baby just within few seconds. The operation took about 5 hours. Like michelle21700 stated in her reply. There is nothing to fear for in that surgery. The scars is just like a straight line.

ONE DISADVANTAGE OF MYOMECTOMY FOR ME ALONE.

I am not here to scare you but I must tell you so you know on time. My fibroid returned back after one and half years with more symptoms. That is what I am currently facing and I am preparing for UFE now (embolization procedure).

Finally, if you don't want to have children again, I think you should think about the UFE method. Again, my gynecologist said that after the UFE if I was taking any pregnancy prevention pills that i should continue with it because it is not 100% guaranteed that I cannot be pregnant after this UFE procedure. Therefore, it means that some people might not be able to be pregnant while others might be opportune to be pregnant. But it is still not recommended for anyone who still want to have children. So the choice is left for you to decide. i wish you good luck.

• Posted

thank you so much for reassurance i still want more children so UFE is not an option for me now i would have to go for the mymectomy hopefully it does not respond soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.