Myocarditis and exercise

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi I'm a 44 year old female how has been training every day for the past 6 months. I was very unwell 4 weeks ago with the flue that lasted nearly2 weeks. 7 days ago I woke with chest pain under my left breast area and found it difficult to lay flat as the pain would increase as would the shortness of breath.  I have has a chest X-ray which was normal. Cardiac tests showed normal no ECG changes except non specific t wave changes. I'm still sob of breath when I try to do anything, very tired all the time pain is not as bad but still there, especially if I try and lie flat. Bloods showed elevated liver function Gamma GT 130 (<40). alt="" 371=""><35) c="" reactive="" protein="" 16=""><10). and white cell count 3.64.

yesterday i started with very light exercise and stopped due to shortness of breath and swelling in the ankles which was only mild and reduced with my feet up and rest quite quickly.  i would like to know if this does sound like myocarditis and if so how long before it is safe to push myself with my exercise regime.  thank you.  and="" white="" cell="" count="" 3.64.="" yesterday="" i="" started="" with="" very="" light="" exercise="" and="" stopped="" due="" to="" shortness="" of="" breath="" and="" swelling="" in="" the="" ankles="" which="" was="" only="" mild="" and="" reduced="" with="" my="" feet="" up="" and="" rest="" quite="" quickly.=""  i="" would="" like="" to="" know="" if="" this="" does="" sound="" like="" myocarditis="" and="" if="" so="" how="" long="" before="" it="" is="" safe="" to="" push="" myself="" with="" my="" exercise="" regime.=""  thank="">

yesterday i started with very light exercise and stopped due to shortness of breath and swelling in the ankles which was only mild and reduced with my feet up and rest quite quickly.  i would like to know if this does sound like myocarditis and if so how long before it is safe to push myself with my exercise regime.  thank you. >

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I forgot to mention I have had some aches and pains with mild fever and sweatiness 😬
  • Posted

You may have a recurrence of the flu:  have you checked this with your doctor?

I've also had swollen ankles on and off recently and I have diuretics which I take when necessary, but mine seem to be due to extremely hot weather here in Australia and the fact that when it's so hot (high 30's to low 40's!) I don't exercise as much as usual and am inlclined to sit around in the coolest place I can find.

I'm not inclined to think that midl swollen ankles which clear up with rest are anything to worry about but if you're concerned you should see your gp about it.

• Posted

Thanks Jude appreciate your comment.  I have been in hospital with this over the past week and they are suspecting myocarditis.  I have been told to watch for any swelling, my concern is if it is myocarditis is it dangerous to push myself during my workouts. 
    • Posted

I wouldn't think so.  Why don't you stop pushing yourself until you get a definite diagnosis and then ask what you should be doing about your workouts?

If you were told to watch for any swelling and you have had swelling I reckon it's time to contact your doctor about your swollen ankles. It may not be connected but h/she is the best person to ask

Good lucik

• Posted

Hi Sonia sorry to hear you have been ill' sounds very much like a the virus that ravaged our gym over criggy, put me out of action and was told no exercise till fully rid.

You say your GT was raised, that as I have found out can be from inflammatory illnesses.

I hope you feel better soon.

Can I ask did they seem worried about your t wave changes.

• Posted

Have you taken an antibiotic from the fluoroquinolone family within the last few months?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.