Myomectomy looming

Posted , 5 users are following.

Evening all,

I am seeing my consultant on friday as my myomectomy is looming following a course of injections yo try and shrink it. I now have no other optons left in terms of medication and nothing had shrunk it. He's keen to get me in soon because it'll jist grow and it's already 16cm. He thinks about a month waiting list and I would be high priority as I'm only 31 with no children.

I just wonder can anybody tell me any info about open surgery and recovery? How long in hospital? Can you use stairs etc? I'll have a vertical scar I know that much.

Thanks guys and hope you all had a great easter weekend

L.S

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

In the UK, private hospitals keep you in for 5 nights for Open Myomectomy and NHS hospitals keep you in for 3 nights. The recovery time you are given is usually 6 weeks off  work and no heavy lifting or extreme exercise.  You can use stairs and its advisable to do gentle walks to build up strength and have regular naps (sleep) duriing the day anytime you feel tired.

I had one last year (32 fibroids removed) and started feeling better in week 3.  Look forward to your sugery and focus on being fibroid free, pray, meditate, relax and do some exercise and eat healthly before the surgery, as the fitter you are, the quicker your recovery.

It is normal to be on pain killers for up to 2 weeks after the sugery to help with swelling, which can take time to go down. So don't epxect a flat stomach for a few months.

If you are interested in pregnancy then ask the consultant after the sugery how long before trying for a pregnancy as it varies, I was told 6 months to 1 year to ensure my uterus was strong enough, others are given  3 months. Was also advised to start swimming and retun to gym after 4 weeks to strengthen the uterus, again ask your consultant when you shold return to gym if you are into exercise.

Best of luck and do not fear.

• Posted

Hello,

I am 26 and 5 weeks post open myomectomy to remove 5 fibroids, th largest I think was 5-6cm, however I had a horizontal incision. I believe if you have a vertical cut some doctors give a self administrating pain killer drip after surgery, if u wish or nurses came round 4 times a day with pain killers. I was in hospital for 2 nights, although originally I was told I'd be in for 3. You can use stairs, the physio ensures you can walk and use the stairs before you are allowed to be discharged.

I was so petrified before I went in but I am so happy I have had it down now. The pain wasn't as bad as I thought. For me it was more of a tightness and after a few weeks it quickly improves. i still have bruising and slight swelling around my incision. You will have some bleeding for quite a while after surgery but that's totally normal, and any bleeding I have had had been much lighter than pre-myomectomy.

Wishing you well

• Posted

Hello!

I'm 35 and going in for a myomectomy next Friday. I am so scared but reading these posts have helped.

I think sometimes the waiting is worse isn't it?

I've been told I will have a catheter fitted which I'm really worried about. Did you have this fitted too?

Did you have stitches or glue for the scar?

I love the fact we have this forum so we can share.

Take care!

• Posted

Hello,

I did have a catheter fitted. You don't feel it at all and to be honest it was good to not worry about having to keep getting up to go to the loo whilst your still groggy after anaesthetic. Taking it out is quick and pain free.

I had dissolvable stitches which took about 4 weeks to fully dissolve.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.