Myomectomy Recovery- how do you know when you’ve done too much?

Posted , 3 users are following.

im 17 days post operation, feeling great and have been since the initial sickness passed from the anaesthetic. I have been almost carrying on as normal at home, with the exception of using the hoover, or carrying heavy shopping. I’m feeling fine and have not been in any major pain for over a week. I’m being reminded a lot to rest and take th8ngs easy, which is fine as this was my instructions on leaving the hospital. However, im feeling fine and feel like I can do most things. I get a bit tired from time to time, the odd day here or there, so I just have a quick snooze and I’m fine again. If I’m feeling fine do I carry on as I am? How will I know when/if I’m doing too much? I’m just carrying on as normal because I can’t sit around for very long at a time. I do quite a physical job that keeps me on my toes, so I’m used to moving around and doing things all day. Now that the fibroid has been removed I have so much more mobility and feel free again. I’ve hardly been able to walk for six months and surgery has made such a difference. I just want to get back to going for runs, back to the gym, and back to work. I can easily manage 2 mile walks and I would happily walk further, but I know to stop after a while even if I could carry on. I just keep going’s until I crash. 

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi M7447,

    I'm now exactly 4 weeks post op, and can share where I'm at if it helps. I've also been interested to know when someone has 'done enough', as for me it wasn't exactly clear how much I'm 'supposed' to do, post op.

    The advice I was given upon leaving the hospital was to rest up for 6 weeks, avoiding lifting anything heavier than 1.1kg, and definitely no hoovering or anything strenuous. I was concerned before the op that I wouldn't be able to leave my flat (I'm 3 floors up) for a couple of weeks, and that I'd be basically bed-bound, but I've been up and about quite a lot, spending time on the couch (re-watched all 10 series of Friends...!) rather than being in bed. Also, for the last week I've started doing light tasks like cleaning (non-heavy) dishes, and sweeping up gently. My family seem to think I shouldn't do anything, but I feel I can do a surprising amount of stuff, if I choose the right meal I can even cook for myself. I have been taking a walk every day, starting around 10 minutes and now more like 20. I get pretty tired after the walk, and occasionally do need to nap for an hour or so, but more often than not I'm ok after a rest on the couch and a cuppa. The need for a rest after such a relatively short walk however makes me realise I have a long way to go compared with what I was doing before the op.

    Last week, I knew I overdid it: I thought I could walk further than I had been, as I was feeling pretty good in the days before, and so walked to the shops, picked up a few things (with a friend who carried them)  and then was so tired on the way back that I felt like I could just lay down on the pavement and sleep...Luckily I didn't, I managed to walk back but it look me about 45 minutes to do what would normally take 15. It was actually a bit freaked as I had a panic attack worrying that I'd overdone it and caused damage to my healing. I hadn't of course, but it made me realise I need to be careful, and that to be out of my comfort zone makes me feel alarmingly vulnerable right now.

    Based on that experience, I think you know when you go too far- I realised in the middle of Lidl! Therefore, I am taking a step backwards and being more cautious. It sounds like you are comfortable with what you are achieving, and I'm sure that if you do push it, you'll know, and that will slow you down. But I would also not be trying anything like proper exercise until at least the 6 week mark: I'll be waiting at least 8 weeks, as I really want to be sure it's all ok. My mantra after my Lidl experience is that I'd rather be extra cautious and maybe rest up longer than needed, than to push myself too hard and have another panic attack.

    Have you booked in a 6 week post op check with your GP? A booklet I was given suggested this as a good thing to do. I have mine booked in, so will chat to the GP then to see whether I'm good to go back to work at the 6 week mark. But as I'm feeling now, I expect to need the full 8 weeks, to make sure I'm ready to dive straight back into work fully healed and ready to go!

    Congrats on your quick healing, I hope it keeps getting better as I'm sure it will. It is an amazing feeling to be fibroid-free: today I tried on jeans that I could not have fitted into 5 weeks ago!

    So good to read others experiences when they are also post-op. 

    All the best,

    Teaandbiccy, Glasgow

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Congrats🙄. I'm also getting a myomectomy or the other one. How was your experience after the surgery? If you don't mind me asking🤔 How was the pain after you woke up? We're you able to walk the next day? How long did it take you to go the restroom or wash up by yourself?? I'm asking because I didn't won't them to put a catheter and the doctor was like you are not going to won't to walk 😔🙁😢😭😭. Also how long did you have to stay in the hospital? Is the pain unbearable after surgery?? How long did it take for the pain to ease after your surgery? I'm happy to hear that it's going great for you and m74474.

      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Before I write anything I would like to note that from what I’ve been reading of other people’s experience, the process seems very similar, but the recovery is as unique as we all are. I apologise now if I write anything too gooie.

      My surgery was on a Thursday evening. I had spent all day thinking about it and hoping that I would be able to walk again. I have had difficulty walking for about six months and ended up off work because I just couldn’t move around enough to carry out my job any more. I’ve not even been able to walk more than 5-10 minuets without pain. I ended up shopping online and only going out if I drove myself and had very little walking to do the other end. 

      Back to the surgery day. I was very lucky, as even though I was a NHS patient, I was sent to a private hospital. There were less patients and everyone had time to explain things well to me as we went along. This could be an impact on my experience as well, because it meant I felt very at ease, not pressured by anyone else or worried about other peoples illnesses. Sounds very selfish, but what I mean, is that I could just focus on myself and what I needed to do. I even had my own room and bathroom facilities. 

      I went down to surgery about 6:10pm and remember waking up about 8:25pm. I was in and out of sleep all night. Not because of being in pain, but most likely the anaesthetic wearing off. A nurse came in and out during the night to take my blood pressure and temperature, and to give me painkillers. I was only on paracetamol that I remember, other than once or twice I had a small bag of fluid attached to my hand. I honestly don’t remember how much pain I was in. I just remember realising that each day I was in less pain than the day before. I was uncomfortable with the catheter and drain in place and this did restrict movement. 

      On the Friday I was hungry but each time I ate I was really sick. By mid afternoon I was given anti sickness medication and by late afternoon I was able to eat something. I can only imagine that the sickness was due to the anaesthetic. Dispite feeling pretty tired I still managed to get up and walk 10-15 steps, not once but twice throughout the day. I also had the catheter removed around lunch time, which made moving around easier. It also meant I had to get myself to the toilet from this point. 

      on the Saturday, I went for four walks around the ward, had a wash at the bathroom sink, took myself to the toilet each time, got myself dressed and even sat in a chair for a while. In the afternoon at some point I had the drain  removed. The nurses told me it was going to hurt and that it might be helpful to hold my fiancé’s hand. I’m not saying I wasn’t scared by this but equally I was definitely preparing for excruciating pain. I chatted to the nurses, they let me know what they were doing and once it got to pulling the drain out, they told me. I held my fiancé’s hand, closed my eyes and could just feel the tubing coming out. It honestly did not hurt, however it was the strangest feeling I have ever experienced. I’m not trying to say this doesn’t hurt for everyone. One of the nurses said the first time she took a drain out the poor lady was screaming in pain. I don’t say this to scare anyone, but to use as a comparison. I’ve decided I must have a very high pain tolerance, just from this. I could feel where the tubing had been for quite a while afterwards and it was a bit uncomfortable, but I wouldn’t say it hurt. But again this is only my experience, everyone is different. The main thing for me was now I was drain and catheter free. I could get myself around without any extra things to carry with me. 

      By the Sunday I was up before breakfast and went for my first solo walk around the ward. I stayed out of bed all day. I had a shower, washed my hair, got dressed and even went for a walk to the cafe. I went with my fiancé using the lift to get downstairs and back up again. Each walk was better than the last. The more I walked the better if felt.

      The most painful part for me was the first couple of days after surgery. This was not from the wound or anything physically obvious, but air gets put into the body during surgery. The air gets trapped and travels around the body. The air travelled up to my shoulders and was so painful I could have cried. however, I realised that the more mobile I was, the more the pain went away. It was the pain in my shoulders which stopped me from walking any further on those first couple of mini walks. But by the end of the Saturday, the pain was very minimal and I didn’t really notice it so much. I was allowed to go home on the Sunday afternoon. So in total I was in for less than three days. 

      My main focus throughout has been getting up and about and being physically active. Not stretching or carrying anything g heavy, but just moving around. I found that once out of hospital, sitting on the sofa was too uncomfortable. So I sat at the table for the first week or so. My concentration was and still is pretty poor. I’m not sure how much of this is recovery or how much is just that I need to retrain my brain to focus better. I’ve been off work since beginning of January,and have only had to worry about looking after myself. So a mixture of both could be my problem. 

      I would say say that this is a planned operation, so it’s a perfect opportunity to organise as many things as possible before going into hospital. I prepared two weeks of hot meals and froze them for when I got home. This is great because I just get one put each day and let them defrost, I just heat them up again. The energy, effort and thought that goes into each meal, can be exhausting after the surgery. I’m really glad I prepared meals. I also did a very simple shop about a week after coming out of hospital. Just things that I could leave on the side/in the cupboards that are quick and easy to prepare. Bread, beans, the types of food you just add boiling water too. Easy stuff, but enough to make you feel independent enough to do it yourself when you want it. It doesn’t need lots of thinking about how to prepare it, it doesn’t take long and definitely and more importantly doesn’t use too much energy. I would say I went for my first solo shop Friday just gone. It’s a 10 minuet walk from my house, so intotal took about 35 minutes. For the first time in months I was able to keep a steady pace at walking. Uphill and downhill. Completely unavoidable  as I live at the top of a steep hill. I was pretty impressed and really happy at the freedom I now have. 

      I have to say say that I have had a huge network of people around me throughout all of this. Family and friends. It’s amazing at the number of lovely cards, messages, flowers, visitors bringing meals, people asking how I am when they see me. Not to forget that I was even given somewhere to stay while I was initially recovering. I feel very lucky to have so many caring people around me. I honestly thought I was going to end  at home looking after myself. I know it’s not uncommon for people to live as I do, but it does make you realise that even if you think your alone, you never truly are and the care and concern from those around me have really helped with the whole process for me. I am very lucky and it’s enabled me just to focus on what I need to do to get myself back to normal again. I am out a person to focus on myself usually and it’s very hard to get my head round this part of looking after myself, but I really feel that I actually needed this time to switch off from everything and take care of myself for a change. If you get the chance too, take this as an opportunity to completely relax and find yourself a bit. Sounds odd maybe, but honestly if nothing else it takes your mind off things and gives you focus. Drink plenty of water and keep moving where you can, but rest as much as you can take. I’m a fidgety person and love being on the go all the time, so it very tricky for me to rest, but the opportunity is there. It’s a strange almost positive kind of chance to make changes, look after yourself and find what’s important. 


      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Hi Teaandbiccy, I think I found my ‘tipping point’ the other day. I went back to work part time on Monday. I’m working afternoons for now. I work with children, so quite an energetic job. However, 5his week is still the Easter holidays and only a few children are in. We took the children to do some music and movement on Wednesday, and I decided in my wisdom to lead the group of 2-4 year olds through a variety of songs and dances with scarves, mixed up with deep breathing and stories and a picnic tea. I had two other staff with me too. I thought I was fine at the time and felt great for being able to do some of the things I e not been able too for months. However, over night I had bad stomach cramps and in the morning ended up with diarrhoea and vomiting quite badly for about 6 hours. I attempted to go to work as I felt bad taking time off sick so soon after going back, but I came home again within the hour and slept for 2 solid hours. I’m still taking it easy now, although I did go back to work yesterday. I still feel sick and having mild stomachache but nothing like it was on Thursday. I can’t  be sure it’s down to dancing with the children, but there isn’t a big going around, no one else is sick, I keep a food diary anyway and there’s nothing different or unusual about the foods I ate on Wednesday. I can pretty much say for sure it was most likely the dancing. I’ll be thinking twice before I do that again. It’ll be a while I’m sure 😉

      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Just seen your comment. I'm now 26 days post op. I felt great a couple hours before i left the hospital i was their 3 days. My surgery lasted 5 hours. They wanted me to stay their another day but i wanted to go home. Surprisingly i didn't feel much pain but when it came it was excruciating. The doctors didn't won't to give me stronger meds😡😠. Making excuses as to why they didn't give me stronger meds talking about becoming addicted to meds so they gave me like 3 or 4 meds that wasn't that strong but i guess taking them together made them stronger ( BULLS**T😒wink So i didn't have strong meds like most people get when they have surgery or meds like I've read on here after people had myomectomys😒. My experience sucked at the hospital all the nurses sucked and the doctors😑😡.My back hurts alot when i'm walking and my stomach. I want to work but i don't think I'm ready. But i really hope when tge 2 month nark hit i would feel alot better. Do you have pain and pulling aroung your groin????

      Report / Delete Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up