Myomectomy Vertical scar on dark skin?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm 34 and going to have Myomectomy to remove several large fibroids. The largest is 10cm and another is 7cm. I've had fertility issues, and would like to have children, so a hysterectomy isn't an option. I had Myomectomy a few years ago where the fibroids were smaller and it was a bikini line incision. However, since they're so big this time I'm told it will be a vertical incision. I'm scared of getting keloid scarring due to having dark skin. I got some keloid scars on my bikini line incision but it wasn't too bad. Has anyone else with dark skin have keloid scars, and if no what did you do?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

sorry to hear this. i had a bikini incision when i had myomectomy. i had a scar that was slightly raised, but i rubbed bio-oil daily and its faded now and the skin is very smooth though you can tell i had surgery. why not try reducing the fibroids before surgery (can be reduced using the gnrh injections) ? so when its smaller you could have a bikini incision again x
  • Posted

Hi Avia,

I had my open Myomectomy op done few weeks ago and I have already had two kids through cs. This is done through my bikini. The  fibrod I had removed is 11 cm, the surgeon just extend the bikini cut from both sides.

Is not easy because is longer but the scar is healing.

• Posted

Tell your doctor in the hospital about keloids and they should be able to put some special tape/treatment on the area when the operation is complete.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.