Myopic macular degeneration + retinal hemorrhages

Posted , 3 users are following.

hello, i am a 23 year old male and i have been told that I have myopic macular degeneration and have had retinal hemprrhages multiple times and I still suffer from vision loss from them even though the doctors told me that the hemorrhages are no longer there. I mainly suffer from what is like brown or blue droplets the cover my central vision and prevent me from seeing through it, however all the doctors that i have seen told me that they DO NOT know why I have this vision loss and therefore they did not give me a treatment for this. What makes things even worse, I was told that the retinal hemorrhages "go away on their own" and indeed my doctor told me that the hemorrhages have been reabsorbed in one eye but I STILL see in my central vision the grey spot where the blood was and my vision still did not return to norma, so do retinal hemorrhages leave behind permanent damage? This has been a huge burden for me and caused me extreme stress since i still do know know why I have this vision loss and I am in a very despirate position. i'm hoping that someone here can help me.

Forbackground I can really only see from one eye (the left had retinal hemorrhages 3 years ago in the central vision and the doctors told me the blood disappeared after a few months but I still can not see at all from that eye leaving me blind)

The right eye is the eye that I see with and I have done 3 surgeries on it about 4 years ago (retinal detatchment, surgery to remove blood from the eye after detatchment, and finally cataract surgery) the right eye also has hemorrhages but it has not yet reached my central vision

If anyone can help me out and tell me why i am going through this hell or even through out some possibilities ouit there I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Sheriff:

I am wondering if your doctor is giving you shots in the eye for your macular degeneration and eye hemoraghes.  There is a medicine called Lucentis which

can be given for these eye problems.  I have been getting it monthly since last

June and have NOT had a 2nd eye hemorrage since.  Check to see if this could

possibly help your problem.

Beverly

• Posted

Yes my old doctor use to give me these injections and it helped a bit, but these injections are very expensive for me and my insurance does not pay for it (learned that fact the hard way) and also that doctor left the state and the new doctor absolutely refuses to give me injections because she says if there is no abnormal blood vessel growth then there is no reason to take injections. Another doctor that i talked to for a second opinion also said the same thing...unfortunately injections dont seem to be a viable option for me
  • Posted

That is very interesting to me that your doctors both would not give the injections to you due to no abnormal blood vessel growth.

Re the expense of these shots...Lucentis does have a program for people for whom

the expense is not covered by the insurance company.  Since your doctors will not

give you the shots, I guess there is no sense in pursuing that avenue.

Would your insurance cover your going for another opinion to Bascom Palmer Eye

Institute in Miami, the #1 place in the country for eye issues?

Beverly

• Posted

Hi Sheriif,

I, too, suffer from this condition. I am 23 years old and I am starting to see floaters. My I know how is your vision today?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.