Mysterious Abdominal Pain That Has Been Going on For 4 Days

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 21 years old, and had my gallbladder removed 2 months ago due to gallstones. 4 days ago I began experiencing pain a little bit under the right side of my ribs. It comes and goes in waves, and at first I ignored it. Yesterday the nausea and diarrhea began, and I took myself to the ER because the pain became too much. They did blood tests, and urine tests, but said they see no reason to do a CT scan. I was given IV fluids since my heart rate was 123 and I had a fever of 102. My heart rate was 70 and normal temperature when they took my vitals right before I was discharged. The ER doctor said everything came back normal, and nothing was wrong with any organs. Today the pain is worse, and I have a really bad headache along with it that will not go away even with Ibuprofen. The pain happens more frequently, and feels like I am being stabbed. It does sometimes spread to my left side, and when I press on my abdomen a little towards the middle and a bit under my ribs, I can feel an exact spot that hurts really bad. My 80 pound dog jumps on me quite often and I began to think maybe internal bleeding was a possibility from the trauma of her jumping on me, but that might be a stretch. No appendicitis, no pancreatitis, and no gallstones since I had my gallbladder removed. I am at a loss, and still am in a lot of pain. I think maybe I should have spoken up to get a CT scan, I have no clue. If anyone has any ideas of what I should do, please let me know.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Try a medicine called cholestraymine, it is a powder you mix with water...after gullbladder removal bile is still produced and this causes diarrhea and pain.   You can only get it on prescription.   After taking a box,  with Flora critical care 50 billion probiotic  diarrhea  it stopped.   I wouldn’t have believed it but I was at my wits end after over a year.  Pls just try it.   I got this through my own research and the doctor agreed to give me the prescription.  Thank goodness he did.....
  • Posted

It could be neuralgia caused by the surgery which can disturb abdominal nerves.  The other possibilities could be Bile acid malabsorption which causes diarrhoea.  It can be picked up by a SECHAT scan.   If it shows up, there is treatment to help with your bile salts.  IBS can also be a complication of gallbladder removal.  Push for a CT scan.  However, wih IBS, it will not show on any scan. 
  • Posted

I hope you feel better soon and watch the foods that you are eating I've been warned about greasy Foods after gallbladder surgery I have gallstones that I've had several years since 1989 I'm 79 years old and they want me to get my gallbladder removed and I'm almost scared to do it the surgeon said no you've had Stones this long but the doctor the stomach doctor says I would feel better with it out I just don't know what to do anymore but I have a lot of stomach problems and I have IBS and if they take the gallbladder out is that going to make my IBS worse or better the doctor says better but who knows can't believe anything these days but I pray that you get better keep everybody informed

• Posted

Hi barb, how long have you had gallstones before you had it removed? For how many years?
    • Posted

Jeff I still have my gallbladder along with these stupid gallstones I've had them since in the 90s they won't remove them because they haven't give me an attack yet so I don't know what it's going to take for them to remove the gallbladder but I went and got a second opinion from a surgeon and he said no until you have trouble I'm not going to remove them but the stomach doctor wants me to get the gallbladder removed

• Posted

Hello again. I see..i was diagnosed last year when i went to ER. I had it checked again last month and mainly because of a high ALT liver enzyme level and they only found my tiny stones in my gallbladder.  I haven’t had an attack i had last year but sometimes i experience heartburn/indigestion like pain in my upper middle of my stomach, i don’t even know if that’s related to my gallstones. Sometimes i feel some discomfort around my right rib side area but not really painful. That’s what the nurse practitioner told me too, that i don’t need to have it remove if it’s not really symptomatic. How about you What are you experiencing from time to time ever since they’ve diagnosed you?
    • Posted

I've had my gallstone since 1998 and they have grown I have some large ones but the surgeon still says until I have episodes he's not going to remove them my stomach doctor says my stomach would feel better if I would have them removed because I do have stomach aches a lot and I still take Prevacid twice a day for heartburn 30 milligrams and I also have a hiatal hernia so I never know what's causing all the pain when I do have it I have terrible terrible constipation and we're wondering if that's caused from the gallstones because the gallstones are supposed to drip something into your digestive system to help your food digest and if you can't get good digestion then you're going to have severe constipation so if you get your gallbladder removed then your liver has to take over for the gallbladder

• Posted

UPDATE: I saw my doctor today who said it was either a case of IBS, or there are stones stuck somewhere in my abdomen from when I had gallstones. She prescribed my Bentyl, told me to take Meta Mucil and Align. If my pain gets worse I am to return to the ER, and contact my surgeon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.