Mysterious hairloss

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have a question In regards to some strange hair loss I hope some people can help out with. I started back in January when I had gotten my long hair cut and noticed my hair was generally a lot more thinned out. I had noticed some scalp showing here and there prior, but didn't think anything of it until it was cut and noticed the actual extend of the damage, so I can't say for certain how long its actually been going on. Ever since though, my hair has been progressively diffusing. In Regards to miniaturization, I haven't really noticed much honestly. What I do notice is all the parting lines, as well as a few area's that formed at the top, periodically get wider, making hair generally just look a tiny bit worse every so often. It seems to just happen abruptly every couple weeks or so. Like one day theirs hair there and the next their isn't. I could look in a mirror and see that the spots that were seemingly fine yesterday, are now even more thinned out. the affect of it can be pretty much been seen throughout my hair. The top being the worst and the right side of my head having the least. Being disheartened and rather confused, I went to my primary care doctor to voice my concern. She did some blood work to check my iron levels and thyroid but every thing came back clean. Unable to accurately give a diagnoses herself, she directed me to a dermatologist, who I then went to see. She performed a scalp biopsy and reviewed the blood work sent over from my doctor and also couldn't find any direct cause. She informed me that it was genetic and wrote me a prescription for some Finasteride to stop it from progressing, which I gladly accepted. After about month of use, combined with the Rogaine and Nizoral I was already using prior, I noticed no effect what so ever. It just continued on at its normal rate. With a medication that's suppose to have an 80% success rate, as well as being reinforced by two other routines, It struck me as odd that I didn't see at least some stabilization. It wasn't long after that I noticed my beard following suit, becoming more patchy and disconnected in almost the same manner of time that my scalp was. My goatee that was once thick and even just a month prior, is now now jagged and sickly looking in comparison. Looks almost as if bugs have eaten away at the edges, along with a strip of the upper lip part pretty much gone entirely. Upon further inspection, I noticed the rest of my body hair starting to go too. Roughly around this time, lots of random symptoms started to pop up too. Things like:

(Discomfort in Hands/Arms, Legs/Feet) - A lot of times I'll get a shooting of pins and needles in these area's. Other times It'll just be a random burning sensation that'll rapidly increase and then immediately alleviate itself.)

(Dizziness) - This seems to be a constant. It's mild but its always there. It's like a bobbing feeling. Similar to to what you would feel if you were a little buzzed. Concentrating my sight too far to the left or right disorients me and messes with my sense of balance. Also happens when I close my eyes, which sometimes affects my ability to fall asleep. I'll get jolted back up, right as I'm about to doze off. I'll contribute this to my body thinking theirs some kind of danger because of the floating feeling.

(Breathing trouble) - As described, every once in awhile, usually at night, I'll little trouble breathing. I'm not wheezing or struggling to breath or anything, my airway just feels somewhat constricted. Like I've become conscientious of my own breathing and have to work a little harder to get each breath out. Caused a couple panic attacks the first times experiencing it. Usually Lasts lasts about an hour or two.

(Heart palpitations) - This is actually a pre-existing condition that showed itself a couple years. Just randomly came out of the blue one day and caused a lot of pain and discomfort for the first few days. Palpitations got better over time and continue to this day. Never really went away, just kind of went dormant. They just randomly come and go. Hasn't been the same since. Amidst all the other other symptoms, they seemed to have kicked back up. Not painful anymore like they were originally, just kind of annoying.

(Groin Area) - Sometimes an aching, but usually a cold feeling in the testicles that comes and goes every so often. Everything still functions normally, but orgasms don't feel as intense anymore.

(Mood/Aggression) - I guess you can say I've always been a short tempered person. Lately I've noticed that in some instances that would normally stress me out, I've become more passive. Like I want to get mad but can't. On the contrary, Sometimes I find myself getting enraged at something I wouldn't find more than a mild annoyance. Their have been times where Ive become infuriated without really knowing why. My overall emotions feel a little more dulled out too, but I'm not sure if that's an actually issue or just a psychological thing.

(Prostate?) - This is another condition I've had prior to all this, but now it seems amplified. Repetitive urge to go to the bathroom even though I don't have to. Theirs have been nights where I've gotten no sleep over this.

Well that's about the gist of it. I can't help but wonder if a couple of the issues I already had are related to whats all going on now. I want to say yes, but overall i'm not as concerned with all that stuff as I am with saving the hair on my head, but from the looks of it, everything seems intertwined. Unless I have some rare form of genetic hair loss and its a huge coincidence that all these symptoms started popping up, I'm inclined to say theirs something going on here. doctor had me go for an echocardiogram for the palpitations and they confirmed I had a premature heart rate with extra beats. They didn't see anything abnormally wrong with the heart, so they wrote it off as normal. I'll be going back to my doctor soon to discuss the results with her with her.

If anyone has any idea's as to what this might be, please post your opinion because anything helps at this point.This has caused a fair share of depression for me and would love to just rectify what ever is causing this and move on with my life. Thanks a bunch!

- Chris

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Most cases of male and female hair loss are the result of androgenetic alopecia, or male and female pattern baldness, which is caused by a genetic sensitivity to DHT . Unfortunately, if you carry the gene for hair loss there is not a lot you can do to prevent it occurring but you can take action as soon as you notice the telling signs to stop it developing.

Thinning hair, receding hairlines, excess shedding – these may not seem too concerning now but they are precursors to hair loss and baldness.

• Posted

I don't believe that there's nothing that can be done about baldness or alopecia. I have alopecia areata and when it first started I lost about two-thirds of my hair so it was a considerable amount of hair loss. But with treatment with the dermatologist and time it came back. Now I just get an occasional bald spot and since I've been able to grow my hair long and it is naturally thick I can generally cover up the bald spots with my hair.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.