Mysterious shortness of breath, can only sometimes take a satisfying deep breath

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have gotten stuck in a viscous cycle of dysfunctional breathing starting almost ten years ago, where i take a satisying deep breath, but directly after my chest will feel as if it constricted and i cannot take one to the same capacity. This will be repeated as a never ending cycle and is a 24-7 thing. The feeling when i get that deep breath is so good but i can never do it at will and it seems like i can only do at the very most 3 deep breaths at a time and then the breath is constricted again.

the absolute worst part for me is that almost of time i speak i run out of breath no matter how hard i try to improve my speaking. DOES any one else have this symptom of not being able to communicate because of this? i have tried inhalers, anxiety meds, chest xray, breathing excercises, etc and nothing has helped or given me any answers. THIS has completely gotten in the way of my happiness and ability to live a normal life and i just want it to stop, i just wish that the damn medical industry had an answer because its horrible.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I know EXACTLY what you mean! This has started happening to me since last month

I dont know how in the world you could be going through this for 10 long years! I've had shortness of breath off and on but never this long. I have been sick and ended up in the hospital. I was much better in the hospital and had no breathing issues like I had when admitted upon discharge. Tbh, I didn't really want to come home due to having to go back to being alone again. Whoever heard of someone not looking fwd to going home from hospital? I wasnt home but 2 hrs and the whole breathing thing started up again. I have no idea if I'm sick again or if its anxiety or if I'm allergic to my house or what is wrong with me.

The mind is a powerful thing and I'm wondering if what is happening to us is so ingrained in our subconscious for whatever reason and it's going to keep happening until we can train ourselves not to be this way. I've never had CBT before but wondering if that may help? I'm about to lose it. I can't imagine 10 yrs of this. I have psych appt on Thurs. Definitely bringing this up! Cant keep living like this and you shouldn't have to either. Have you gone to a therapist about this?

• Posted

the only thing that helped me was getting my adrenal glands in better shape and going to an alternative doctor. I was in the ER repeatedly bc of this and they basically laughed at me. the holistic doctors actually care and many know more than reg doctors. I wish you the best!

• Posted

i know how you feel. im going through this right now and its scary. off and on for fays now. i get lightheaded too. my chest feels tight , my head feels weird sometimes but mostly i feel like my breathing is so shallow...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.