Mysterious symptoms...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I was wondering if anyone else has ever experienced any symptoms with their vision and find out that everything is normal after being tested. I was having some strange symptoms that started with seeing these black dots but their not quite like floaters they started as a small cluster that I noticed in the sky on a sunny day. This turned into more of them that I often see a lot all over the walls and then I started getting a lot of after images. I went to the doctors and they sent me to the optician who done a load of tests on my eyes they were thorough because of the symptoms I'd described to them. Including retina scans, dilating my pupils to see in the back of my eye, eye pressure tests, prophery vision tests etc. Everything came back normal. After two weeks my symptoms wouldn't ease so I decided to go back for another test just in case, especially since I was having a new symptom which was flickering in the corner of my eye (as if the light bulb was flickering) and I was getting headaches a lot too. I was getting eye pain as well like burning and a feling like an eyelash was in it. Everything came back normal again (this was a few days ago) although they did say I have dry eyes. But I was told this wasn't the cause of my symptoms only the eye pain. They said they think I'm having migraines but the headache doesn't always happen at the same time as the flickering and the headache doesn't feel bad enough to be a migraine although it's worse and more frequent than my usual headache. I'm also starting to think that the flickering was just the dots moving in the corner of my eye (they move like tv static) It all seems very strange to me and to other people who I explain it to. The thing is I have health anxiety so I go through times where I start to dought what they have told me and think there's something wrong even after loads of intense tests. My question is, has anyone else experienced any visual or eye symptoms but been told that your eyes are healthy by an optician or a doctor? And did it go away? If not feel free to reply to my post anyway of course. Thanks in advance.     

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

YES,one that might be a caus is PVD,in the beginning stages it probably wouldn't be seen. I also have that,just google it,it usually starts mid life or in older age but can happen when a persons younger,lm sure not a doctor,just might want to ask about it. For years I've had all kinds of visual symptoms including dry eye. I worry also,hard to deal with wierd vision,but often its nothing to worry about.

• Posted

Oh so PVD is harmless, for some reason I associated it with retinal detachment in my mind but when I looked it up I realized this wasn't the case. But then if I had retinal detachment I probably would have lost my vision by now. And PVD matches my symptoms so that could be possible. Thanks for your help. smile 

• Posted

It can lead to retnal detachment,but doesnt usually. Its monitored for awhile after diagnosis.
  • Posted

Yes, I suspected Optic Neuritis but as I didn’t exhibit the typical symptoms everything kept coming back clear. Eventually my  peripheral vision went and things started moving. I had to keep asking though and even had to get a second opinion. Even my consultant thought it was a headache until she performed a laser scan of my optic nerve and picked up damage to it. Keep going and asking - only you know what you’re experiencing. 
    • Posted

Yes that's true. Hopefully I can get a second opinion, although it's hard because the doctors always send me to the opticians and they always say the same thing. 

• Posted

Oh and thanks for your help and advice smile 
  • Posted

I think you should ask your doctor to refer you . I am surprised the opticion hasn't done .too many symptoms at least it would put your mind at rest Sylvie.

• Posted

Just seen your last comment .you say you have asked your doctor? Well see another one in your practice. Also tell the opticion you want one . Don't ask. They can't refuse. Sylvie

• Posted

Thanks for your advice, I think the doctor I seen is the best one there so I think I'll try to see him again and ask if he can refer me  since I didn't request this last time. Especially if the medication he prescribed for migraines doesn't work since then I know it's not that. I'm guessing I would be referred to someone with more knowledge than an optician. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.