Mysterious Thumb Injury?

Posted , 1 user is following.

A few weeks ago I woke up to a terribly sore thumb. I assumed that I slept on it because I a terribly hard sleepers. I can go to sleep in a fetal position and wake up on my face with both of my fingers in my eyes! And that morning I realized that I had pretty much slept on my thumb. My thumb did swell but only under the second joint  but it only hurt when something touched it or rubbed up against it. It was to the point where I couldn’t stand taking a shower because water was even painful. I couldn’t touch my thumb and my pinky without it making this horrible grinding sensation like something was poking out of place. The pain also would extend into my wrist but only on that side of my left hand under my thumb. I went to the doctor on the 3rd who pretty much just read me a list of possible diagnoses most of which I was either too young to have (only 20) or I had to be sexually active to contract it  (I’m not). At the end she said that she thought that it could either be Lymes disease (even though I told her that I’m never outside unless it’s to walk to class which is not in a wooded area) but she felt that it could be 50/50 on the gout. My father and grandfather get the gout badly but they said they’ve never know for it to be prominent in females especially of my age and because I’m a tad bit underweight (due to medication). She sent me home with a bottle of ibuprofen which I guess has helped a tad bit and bandages up my thumb and told me to find a Spica splint (I’ve had no luck in finding one but I do have a brace for now) she wants me to do a follow up for blood work but I honestly don’t have to money to pay for it since she claims my insurance won’t cover it. So far the pain is pretty much gone. I get little tiny twinges every now and then but it’s no where near being unbearable. The reflex has returned (which is great because my thumb was terribly weak and stiff, at one point it would hardly move) And the pain in my wrist is thankfully gone.  I have not experienced any redness, rashes or fever. My thumb is still a tad bit swollen however and it’s starting to make me a little anxious. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

*Im a terribly hard sleeper (Sorry! It’s hard to type when you can’t use your thumb!)
  • Posted

UPDATE: The pain came back today and is in between my thumb and index finger. It kinda feels like that feeling that you get when you stretch something too hard and it starts to strain. The popping sensation has returned to the joint in my thumb but only occurs when I turn it a certain way. Unfortunately I won’t be able to see a doctor until Monday 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.