Mystery illness: concussion, pleraul effusions, CA-125

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I'm really hoping someone can help or point me in the right direction as the doctors are still baffled at what is wrong with me.

In April this year I felt really unwell suddenly, then a few minutes later fainted and cut my chin open. I have had post concussion syndrome since and also BPPV. Before then I had no symptoms and was otherwise a very fit and healthy 37yr old female. 

I had a persistent deep pain in my left shoulder that was not bruised and kept me awake at night until May when I was taken to hospital with a left lung pleural effusion which cleared up after a week of antibiotics

In July I developed more pain across my whole chest, ended up back in hospital with a bilateral pleural effusion which did not respond to antibiotics. I'm currently on week 2 of a 5 week course of prednisone, (originally a week, but ended back in hospital again due to the pain).

The fluid was tested and is exudative due to the high level of protein and I've tested positive on the CA-125 test and have a pelvic ultrasound scan soon. However, all my CT scans so far have not detected any tumours. 

I've also tested negative for rheumatoid arthritis, Lupus, ME/CFS, I'm sure they said it's not an autoimmune disease and my heart is fine after wearing a 48 hr tape.  

My main symptoms at the moment (aside from being tired from the BPPV is generally feeling unwell and achy in my chest and headaches, but this all varies, sometimes the pleuritic pain comes on suddenly, I take oramorph and oxycodine hydrochloride as tramadol makes me very nauseated. 

I have history of pelvic endometriosis in my 20s and wondered if it could have spread to my chest but wasn't sure if that would cause exudative fluid or fainting. 

If anyone has any ideas or a better area for this question, I would really love to hear from you. As you can see sleeping isn't coming easily at the moment! Also posted in general conditions as wasn't sure where the best place was. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I was talking to my Dr. and she told me about a case where a lady had endometriosis in her lungs. She had strange symptoms and nobody thought about it but you can get it all over. I think it would be great to look in tho that as a fellow endometriosis sufferer. Good luck and God bless.
    • Posted

That's what I heard too, if it is that, I know I'll be looking on here for more advice and guidance, it's a great place to connect with others. Thank you for your kind wishes, good luck to you too with your symptoms. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.