Mystery illness: low level nausea/stomach ache/headache

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, is there anyone out there who can shed light on what I've got, who's maybe got this themselves or has a clue what it could be? Doctors don't have a clue..

For a year and a half I've had intermittent bouts of feeling unwell, characterised by one or more of these symptoms:

low-level headache (top of the head)

low-level nausea

stomach ache/feeling bloated

feeling really tired

They've done an endoscopy (possible Gastritis, I guess, or stomach ulcers) all clear. They've done an ultrasound test (for any serious things like tumours?): all clear. They've done blood tests: all fine. They've done the Helicobacter test (stomach ulcers): negative.

But I'm still getting the symptoms. It does come and go. So I recently had two or three weeks feeling normal. Now, the last week, it's back again and I have this headache and slight nausea/stomach ache..

Any ideas what this could be? Anyone else have these symptoms?

Oh, one more thing, I used to suffer from Colitis, but I've been absolutely fine for many years, after taking Azthathiaprine. I've now stopped my regular Asacol, as I believe that drug might have been making me feel unwell. (Incidentally, I first got these stomach/headache symptoms a few weeks after taking a course of Naproxen, for backache... I believe that drug can definitely cause Gastritis, even maybe if you take the Mepredec like you're supposed to..)

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

This may be a very simplistic answer to what may very well be a complex problem, but I went through periods of some of what you describe, but I don't have colitis and have taken no medications. I would feel "off" with a headache, slight nausea and a pain in by stomach. I thought it may be a gall bladder problem. Then I stumbled upon a cure. I drank carbonated water which would then cause me to belch, the stomach pain would be relieved and the queasy feeling would leave with the headache. I couldn't believe such a simple thing solved the problem. I don't seem to have the ability to belch on my own! Have you ever tried drinking something carbonated when it happens?

• Posted

Hi John - have you tried a course of probiotics? You will find them in the fridge at the chemist.

• Posted

Hi Wayne, Yes I take probiotics.

Also, just after Christmas, I totally stopped alcohol. I was a moderate drinker before that, but I used to have at least one glass of wine most evenings. Totally stopped and am not going to look back. Don't want to touch alcohol again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.